Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Aggression My oldest piggy is picking on the youngest!!!

3littlewheekers

Cavy Slave
So I have 3 girls. The one weve had the longest is the baby, we went back to the shelter for a friend and found a bonded pair. Turns out the pair is her mom and grandma. But the thing is, is grandma piggy is the dominant one. Sometimes she just chases baby around the cage for no reason leaving her in her hidy hut wheeking and scared. Other times they're just fine. I'm afraid it will effect her health or temperament. Baby is so sweet and gentle. I don't want to separate them because mommy pig an baby get along quite well. If I just separate grandma piggy shell miss momma pig. Why is this happening and what should I do?? I've never had a problem like this before. Usually once they get along it stays that way.

Good Evening ! :)

How long have they been together ?

For whatever reason, grandma piggy is needing to show the pup who is BOSS. It may seem to us that she is being "bullied" but I assure you, from all that I have read and learned on here and guinea lynx, she is NOT. Just give it time. Heirarchy is still needing to be established between them. Unless there is blood drawn, do NOT separate. Do not interfere, no matter how hard it is to watch. It is normal behaviour, and in time, they WILL sort things out.

Read this link, and it will help explain things, and it will make YOU feel so much better ! :eek: Guinea Pigs Social Life

Last edited:
Thank you!! Earlier when I posted that I had her on my lap. I didn't want her being picked on.. I love my "babies"!! She got kind of squirmy so I let her back in her cage. It started right up again-- being chased! I let it go this time but watched them. It stopped after a minute or two! Thanks. How come none of the 3 sleep together? Is that normal? I've never seen gps not cuddle.

Your very welcome ! :)

Hmmm...I don't really know for sure why they aren't cuddling together, but I can give you a "guess", if you want ?

Things are tense right now, because hierarchy is still being established. When things get sorted out between them, and settle down, they may decide then, whom they prefer or not to cuddle with. My girls are as different as night is to day, and don't cuddle either. They did though, for a time, when they were little. They are both around 8 months now.

By the way...how long have they been together ?

Last edited:
Well grandma pig (SweetPea) is about 8-9 months old and she's been with her baby (Buttercup) since she was born, and she's about 4 months now. They've been in with Buttercup's baby for a few weeks now.

I have four sows. The two older were a bonded pair and the two younger were adopted later and are sisters. They never cuddle ! They get along as a social unit, but one of the older (3 yrs. old) sows is dominant, although she is a quiet and shy pigs with humans. One of the year old sows is very pushy and rude, but the dominant one can always get her in line. I think your grandma is reminding baby that she is boss. It can be hard to watch, but it is best to leave them to their social rules unless baby is not able to eat in peace, blood is drawn, etc.

This is just another consideration, but do they have plenty of hiding areas and food bowls? Do they have at least the minimum square footage required - 13 square feet or a 2x5 C&C cage?

This is just another consideration, but do they have plenty of hiding areas and food bowls? Do they have at least the minimum square footage required - 13 square feet or a 2x5 C&C cage?
Their cage is about 20 sq ft on the first level. They all have their own huts and everything. I think SweetPea is just a moody girl!! "my way or the Hwy" fits her quite well lol

Wow, spoiled things! :) Then that's not it for sure. Did you introduce them properly - neutral territory and everything?

I volunteer with a small animal rescue and have seen this a few times. When someone comes in with their already owned guinea pig and want to find a friend, we do introductions with what we think would be a good match. Sometimes a really spunky guinea pig will, for whatever reason, pick on the younger one. As others have said, they're working on figuring out the dynamics of the group - testing limits, deciding who's boss and who is...not. You'll just have to wait and see if it gets any better. The younger one is fine as long as she isn't being attacked, there isn't blood, and she is still able to eat and drink.

I'm sure it's hard to watch this! Hang in there!

It's really hard to watch. I'm afraid they're just going to have it out one day and will never get along. I hate the idea of having to separate them. Baby has really gotten along quite well with buttercup. And of course buttercup and sweetpea are bonded so either way someone would be sad. Although hopefully we won't have that problem. I'm hoping in time they sort it out. I think what started this whole thing is baby was in heat and kept bugging sweetpea.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.