Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General My guinea pig's cage mate died

iloveanimals14

Cavy Slave
I had gotten these 2 guinea pigs 2 years ago. They were a bonded pair, one they said was less than a year old and the other one was significantly older. Well she had died yesterday in front of her. Today she seems to lay where her friend died and only gets up to look around the cage for her. She doesn't come out of hiding either. She doesn't take treats from anyone now. Currently she is in this huge cage by herself and I feel bad she's alone. I have another female pig but she doesn't like her. What do I do, try to bond those 2 or get her a new friend?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I'd try reintroducing the two you've got. Here's the bible on pig introductions: https://guinea-pigs.livejournal.com/3002707.html.

Do it when you've got a lot of time to let them stay in the neutral area. Thoroughly clean the cage, including wiping down the bars, and put new stuff in it. Use upside shoe boxes with the tops off and the ends cut out for hideys, or use fleece forests. Make the cage as large as possible, and keep the floor area clean of "furniture" so they can move around easily. And don't separate them unless there's all-out war, e.g., a rolling, biting ball of fur. Nipping, mounting, chasing, rumbling, squeaking don't count.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.