Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior my guinea pig doesn't eat from my hand!!

ilovehazelnut

Cavy Slave
hi there,i am keeping hazelnut for about 5 months and in all of these times,she only drags the food out of my hand & runs away
is it normal for a guinea pig?how can i fix it?

Can you hold onto the food, forcing her to eat it from your hand? Like hold onto a baby carrot while she chomps on it and don't let go? I think it's normal for piggies to be skittish. How much time do you spend with her every day? I'm no expert on guinea pigs but I've been reading a lot about them as I just got my two baby boys.

I think that's fairly typical. We have one that will sit and handfeed, but we've also had her five years so she's pretty comfortable with us. Everybody else grabs some and flees, but I think that's more for self-preservation because a couple of them will try to steal seconds from each other. Initially they will grab it out of my hand and make a run for it, everyone eating in a different spot.

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk

My boys would eat from my hand from day one, but if they feel moody, just recently had their nails cut, or gone to the vet, they usually choose not to and scooch their booties all the way back to the wall XD It's normal for piggies to just feel ​like not doing it.

Some pigs do, some don't. Don't force the issue. You might just have a pig who never is comfortable doing that.

Pigs are like people, each has their own personality, some are quiet, some are feisty. Hazelnut may come around in her own time, then again, she may never be willing to accept food from your hand. Whatever happens, just keep loving her and accept her as she is.

mine will sometimes. i think its different for each one. some are more comfortable than others.

My boys would eat from my hand from day one, but if they feel moody, just recently had their nails cut, or gone to the vet, they usually choose not to and scooch their booties all the way back to the wall XD It's normal for piggies to just feel ​like not doing it.

Isn't that funny how they will hold a grudge! I got my baby neutered last year and he never forgave me, actually he didn't like people anymore afterwards. My said said he lost trust in people.

i'v been away for a while.i could'nt spend time with her cuz i had to go to work,attend my classes etc.as a result.,she has became skittish,help me how to fix that too

I've had mine over 3 months and she will only eat a couple of things out of my hand. Try a piece of carrot or baby carrot.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.