Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

My crazy pigs ate through a tetrapak!

ohmypig!

Cavy Slave
I set my piggies out for floor time in our hallway and stupidly left out a 6 pak of soy drinks on the floor. I didn't think the pigs would be interested in them, but clearly I was wrong! About half an hour into floor time, my husband screamed...the pigs had eaten a quarter sized hole out of the tetrapak drink boxes and were enjoying the soy milk! I couldn't believe it! I didn't know pigs liked soy! Yikes! Hopefully they'll just poop the tetrapak out of their systems. :sick:

I set my piggies out for floor time in our hallway and stupidly left out a 6 pak of soy drinks on the floor. I didn't think the pigs would be interested in them, but clearly I was wrong! About half an hour into floor time, my husband screamed...the pigs had eaten a quarter sized hole out of the tetrapak drink boxes and were enjoying the soy milk! I couldn't believe it! I didn't know pigs liked soy! Yikes! Hopefully they'll just poop the tetrapak out of their systems. :sick:

I hope they don't get sick, that is very bad for them, next time you should be more careful. And be more responsible, the most important thing to remember when you want to give your piggies floor time is to make sure they would be safe.

Ummmm.....seriously?

ohmypig: From what I've read gp's are not lactose intolerant so I doubt the soy milk will kill them and the tetra paks are made of laminated paper/plastic, probably not really great for them, but mine chew their plastic huts and the coroplast when they can get to it......all we can do as piggy parents is the same as we do as people parents.....the best we can!

Sometimes we ALL make mistakes and personally I put an entire box of tissue paper beside my gp's litter box to give them a step up....I am an intelligent person, but in the moment I didn't even think about the fact that they might chew through the box and get to the puff's with lotion that I am certain is not great for them....afterwards I was like DUH, what was I thinking, but in the moment I was for lack of better words, "human"!!

I would just keep a close eye on them (and their poop:)

Ummmm.....seriously?

ohmypig: From what I've read gp's are not lactose intolerant so I doubt the soy milk will kill them and the tetra paks are made of laminated paper/plastic, probably not really great for them, but mine chew their plastic huts and the coroplast when they can get to it......all we can do as piggy parents is the same as we do as people parents.....the best we can!

Sometimes we ALL make mistakes and personally I put an entire box of tissue paper beside my gp's litter box to give them a step up....I am an intelligent person, but in the moment I didn't even think about the fact that they might chew through the box and get to the puff's with lotion that I am certain is not great for them....afterwards I was like DUH, what was I thinking, but in the moment I was for lack of better words, "human"!!

I would just keep a close eye on them (and their poop:)

Sorry honey but I don't know where have you read that milk is not bad for guinea pigs :) Milk from their mothers is good but other type of milk is bad. I doubt is gonna get the piggies sick because it wasn't a lot ( I hope) but still not good.

I did not say it wasn't bad for them, I said it would not kill them.....

Piggies are lactose intolerant, but soymilk isn't milk. It is the liquid that comes out of pressed soybeans. I bet what they liked about it was the sugar--a lot of soymilk is heavily sweetened. Also, outside Asia it typically has a lot of other additives to make it palatable to us milk-drinkers. Oil, carageenan, and other stuff.

It is amazing what those little piggers will get their noses into. Mine are not big chewers but they recently started chewing stuff they never chewed before, like a bundle of some willow chew sticks. They steadfastly ignored those for about 8 months, and I used them as support for their hay basket (so it wouldn't tip when they put their little paws on the edge. ) Then they learned to chew apple sticks, and now they chew the willow too. Plus, I can't use cardboard packing shapes for supports anymore--they started chewing those.
I hope they are ok from the soymilk. Did it run out everywhere? maybe they only got to drink a little of it.

Of course I hope they don't get sick.....my reaction wasn't to her post, it was how you handled her post. I am new here and she is even newer, the last thing we need is to come here and be "scolded". I am never confrontational on forums, but your post to her about being more responsible just rubbed me the wrong way.

Cogni- thank you for the information....I had read that they were not (of course it also stated that you should not give gp's milk of any kind which I would have assumed anyway) but that soy should not bother them. I'm sure the information that you presented her with was very helpful at easing her mind!

Evelyn,

Reread my post. Clearly I stated that I was "stupid" and "wrong" for leaving the tetrapaks by the pigs. I acknowledged my mistake and put it on the message board to share my story and to let other people know that pigs can actually smell through tetrapaks and chew through them! That's not something I knew before. I didn't post the message to brag. Actually, I believe it's quite clear that I felt and currently feel pretty bad that I accidentally put my pigs at risk. You chastising me for a mistake I openly acknowledged serves no purpose- and to be honest, it also rubbed me the wrong way.

Thebeachdreamer and Cogni- thank you for your helpful responses. They made me feel a lot better. I wasn't too worried about the soy milk- since I already knew it wasn't really milk- but beans, sugar, salt and water.
I've been watching the pigs, and they seem all right. They're eating and pooping normally, but I'll keep watching them closely for the next few days to make sure.

Also, I can't believe someone gave me a -1 rating! For what? Admitting my mistakes?!

Evelyn,

Reread my post. Clearly I stated that I was "stupid" and "wrong" for leaving the tetrapaks by the pigs. I acknowledged my mistake and put it on the message board to share my story and to let other people know that pigs can actually smell through tetrapaks and chew through them! That's not something I knew before. I didn't post the message to brag. Actually, I believe it's quite clear that I felt and currently feel pretty bad that I accidentally put my pigs at risk. You chastising me for a mistake I openly acknowledged serves no purpose- and to be honest, it also rubbed me the wrong way.

Thebeachdreamer and Cogni- thank you for your helpful responses. They made me feel a lot better. I wasn't too worried about the soy milk- since I already knew it wasn't really milk- but beans, sugar, salt and water.
I've been watching the pigs, and they seem all right. They're eating and pooping normally, but I'll keep watching them closely for the next few days to make sure.

Also, I can't believe someone gave me a -1 rating! For what? Admitting my mistakes?!

Hun,I know we all humans we all make mistakes, I was probably a little to hostile with my answer and I apologize. All I was trying to say is to pay more attention when you give the piggies floor time next time. I know you would not let your piggies eat it on purpose. :p

About the rating it was not me .

Update on the piggies:

The pigs are all right! What resilient little beasts! Thank you for taking the time to comment and for having my piggies best interests at heart. We (piggies and me) appreciate it. I've learned my lesson!!!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.