Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Pregnancy Muffin is Pregnant [Word-heavy]

Guineas Galore

Cavy Quiet
Cavy Gazer
Muffin is a pretty standard pig; a very healthy, plump, self-black american who I bought from a responsible breeder. At about 6 months old or so, I left my piggies with my friend while I went on a 3 week cruise, she has younger siblings who love guinea pigs, and mine are all very friendly so I thought they could have some fun with them.
Anyway, I came home from my holiday to find Gizmo, my English Merino boar, sitting in the same cage as Muffin. After talking to my friend's youngest sister, I found out she had 'married' them and put them in the cage the very first day that they'd arrived. In a way, it was cute because she had decorated the cage with little cardboard furniture...but I was also quite peeved as you would imagine. I explained to her that breeding was bad, and she cried and asked if they were getting divorced and I had to say 'yes'.

Anyway, we went on the cruise for Christmas, which meant they had been together for my whole trip (3 weeks) since Christmas eve. I hoped she wasn't pregnant, but here I am...posting on this thread for my poor little Muffin.

I think I can feel two babies, and I estimated a due date from when I felt the first kicks, the due date was between 28 of Feb through till today and there are no signs of babies. I can fit a finger between her pelvic bones, her nipples are swollen, her belly is huge and quite tough...and for the last three days shes had a routine of running back and forth from the food bowl to the water bottle (regularly filled up) then lying down for a little while.

Another thing I'm worried about is that the breeder that I bought her from mainly breed dalmatians, and her parents were Dalis/Roans...since she's a solid colour, has she eliminated the risk of a lethal white baby? I'm really worried and I can see constant movement of the pups and she's breathing really heavily.

And as may of you here on the forum may know, my mother has banned any piggies in the house, but they are still extremely well cared for. I was given two indoor cages at one point, so mum is letting me keep her in my room. It is a pet shop cage but very large. I've lined it with fleece and given her a pigloo and fleece hide to relax in.

Last of all, would she possibly eat at the same time as giving birth? Weird question but I'm curious.

Sorry for the word heavy post, but all of my piggies mean the world to me, and I need details...

Also, this is Gizmo. He's an absolute darling...he's handsome, cuddly and has a great nature <3

And below is the most recent photo I've taken of Muffin:

Please remove the wire off the bottom of that cage. Your guinea pig will end up with sliced feet and bumblefoot. Guinea pigs are not like rabbits and need a solid bottom cage with absorbent bedding. Straw gets wet and stinky very quickly. Is he exposed to the elements out there all the time? That's not a very pleasant life for any animal.

@pinky That was the cage the girl put them in, I only had it as a spare. He lives in a big cage with no wire bottom and his little clique :)

I'd like to see a photo of the cage they live in.

@pinky Well it's midnight at the moment and I have school tomorrow, so I'll take a pic tomorrow afternoon for you :)

Last edited:
Sounds like she's about ready to deliver. Just be patient -- the pups will come when they come. Yes, she can eat while laboring, but probably will not.

And sadly, she's not out of the woods with delivering a lethal white. If her parents were dals/roans, she can well carry the allele even though she's black. The fact that the breeder is breeding dals and roans says IRRESPONSIBLE breeder, not responsible. IMO, s/he should never be allowed to breed again or to sell pups to an unsuspecting public. If you ever get more guinea pigs, please look for a guinea pig rescue or shelter and don't support this abominable practice.

@bpatters I've only ever bought 3 piggies from a breeder, the 'rejects'. I used to have a little boy called Chilli, he was a slightly off shade of red. Muffin is a slightly off shade of black, and I have a Dali named Truffles who's 'mismarked'. I think it's appalling that they strive for such perfection, why have piggies all the same when they can be so dang unique? Anyway, that's off topic...
...but the rest of my piggies were abandoned by people and I took them in :)

Do they have any hay? It all looks like straw to me. It's really important to keep a heavily pregnant sow eating (to avoid pregnancy toxaemia) and so make sure that she has some really nice quality hay always available to nibble at.

Fortunately as she's solid black she cannot have 'lethal whites' even if she is bred from Dalmations or Roans. It is a dominant gene and cannot be carried. She could have plenty of other problems though, so do you have a vet lined up just in case she has difficulties?

I hope she litters safely but personally I would be absolutely livid with your friend for letting the kids put them together. I realise that you might not want to yell at her just in case you need to ask her to 'piggy-sit' again, but next time write really clear instructions for them! I have had the same lady looking after my pigs when I go on holiday - for 20 years, but I still write a list of instructions, make notes about any problems, lots of telephone contact numbers etc

@DalesLass You can't quite see it in the photo, but they have a hay rack that I constantly refill :) And I'll definately keep that in mind for next time! I was also thinking of separating the boys/girls to different houses :/

Who is that in the Pigloo in her cage?

It looks like Muffin is about to pop. Just be patient, it (seemed that it) took forever for my guinea pig to have her babies. Maybe by the time you get back from school, there will be babies waiting for you! They give birth pretty well on their own. Good luck!

@foggycreemcavy Curly, my texel girl. I moved her out though because she was getting pushy...

I can't help much with the pregnancy, but I hope all goes well with Muffin! And they are absolutely gorgeous. Please update whenever you get the chance! :)

Update: No babies, but another friend of mine is going to take a baby, and I'll keep her sister :3

I'd still like to see the photos of the cages.

One of the pigs I'm fostering right now started fighting with her cage mate a few days before giving birth. I would look for moodiness, keep an eye out for spotting, and monitor her eating habits.

How do you know there are only two? And that they will be girls? @Guineas Galore

@PeanutnCookie Its an assumption I guess, but either gender we can keep them...and I'm pretty sure she has two.

Also @pinky I'll take photos this arvo after I've cleaned them :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.