Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Mites Mites keep coming back to my pig

You can use the equine ivermectin that should be available at feed stores, you'll just have to dilute it and measure it carefully. It's usually a 1.87% paste for horses.

The ivermectin is applied to the bald spot behind the ear. Most pigs have some size of spot behind the ear where no hair grows. Try to find this. Some pigs don't have much of a bald spot, so I end up putting the ivermectin in the crease of where the ear attaches.

Alternatively, you can give the ivermectin orally (not the horse paste, though). This way you don't have to worry about getting it on the skin.

Did you check Guinea Lynx for the dosing info?

For those looking for the regular Advantage (for lice, not mites) you can still get it at some places online. Also, even though Revolution is from a vet only in the US, you can still order it online from some places without a prescription.

The ivermectin is applied to the bald spot behind the ear. Most pigs have some size of spot behind the ear where no hair grows. Try to find this. Some pigs don't have much of a bald spot, so I end up putting the ivermectin in the crease of where the ear attaches.

Alternatively, you can give the ivermectin orally (not the horse paste, though). This way you don't have to worry about getting it on the skin.

Did you check Guinea Lynx for the dosing info?

For those looking for the regular Advantage (for lice, not mites) you can still get it at some places online. Also, even though Revolution is from a vet only in the US, you can still order it online from some places without a prescription.

Yes I think I found a website that ships revolution and the price is not too bad, $40 in total. Would you recommend I get revolution instead of ivermectin?
(broken link removed)
this is the one they have, but it looks like it is for big dogs. Are you sure this will be fine for guinea pigs?

I also just found this: (broken link removed)
its for puppies and kittens, but I am unsure about the website, has anyone used this?

Last edited:
No, that Revolution won't do for your pigs. You need Revolution for kittens.

(broken link removed)
Hey guys, I just found this website randomly and I think I will buy from it. I checked its facebook page and it seems legit with 1000s of likes. I will buy from here and let you know if it is reliable. If anyone knows about this website, please let me know if it is good.

I haven't used it. Let us know how it goes.

I usually use Pet Shed. They still have regular Advantage, too, which is good for lice and fleas.

For the Revolution aka Stronghold, we use the Teal one for dogs. It is the most economical. The dosage is for guinea pigs you use 0.125ml for under 800g, 0.25ml for over 800g.

Became flu with other sites, you can get nailed with duty costs or high shipping costs. Let me know how pet i supply works out.

Oliver's back is scabbing again

Hey y'all, took my pigs to the vet around 2 months ago because of a mite situation. All 4 pigs are being treated monthly with revolution. It has been working amazing, but this morning Oliver's back is back to being bad. I'll take a picture when I get home. I'm just not sure what to do now. I've tried ivermectin and that didn't work. I feel so bad for my babies! Please help.

How many Revolution treatments have they had? You might need to treat him every two weeks instead of once a month.

Also, sometimes when the scabs are healing, they itch and the pigs are once again biting and scratching at the scabbed area and re-opening wounds.

Okay. Thankyou!! They have been treated twice. Once a month for two months. I think he may also have a food allergy to pineapple! Oliver had no scabs for a little while and then my mom fed them pineapple and he started itching again. We have been only giving them grapes and watermelon for fruit and he seems to be doing better. Should I treat again with revolution? They had it on the 21st of November and the 2nd of December.

I would like to see a photo of his back, if possible.

It would be unusual for a food allergy to cause itching in the same area. Most likely mites came back, or weren't eradicated in the first place. Does he have long hair?

Mites keep coming back to my pigMites keep coming back to my pigMites keep coming back to my pig

This still appears to be mites to me.

I think you should treat them every 2 weeks like you were told to. If you continue with the monthly treatments the mites will continue to return like they are and your pigs will continue to suffer.

I was told to treat twice a month but the second dose can be given at 3 weeks. Thanks for telling me every two weeks. Hopefully this will help .

You're treating twice a month? I thought you said in your previous post that you were treating once a month?

Sorry i meant once a month!

I'm tired I'm sorry, I've been studying for exams all day!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.