Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Mites Mites keep coming back to my pig

The easiest ivermectin to use, in my opinion, is the .5% stuff on this page: (broken link removed). No mixing needed, just a tiny dab behind the ear. You can also get the syringes there to measure it with.

I would purchase some mange and might spray and spray the cage and your pig every time you do a full clean out of the cage. This will make sure that the mights stay away from the cage and if there's no mights in the cage, there's no mights in the piggies :)

The easiest ivermectin to use, in my opinion, is the .5% stuff on this page: (broken link removed). No mixing needed, just a tiny dab behind the ear. You can also get the syringes there to measure it with.

This looks like a better alternative, I think I am going to go with this. Ill buy it by December and use it over the break. But it says on guinealynx that ivermectin can only kill mites and not the eggs, so is this just a temporary treatment? I am not even sure if my guinea pig has mites/lice I just want to treat him incase there is a possibility. I have to give him up for adoption so I dont want him carrying anything over to the new owners, I will also give them whatever is left of the ivermectin if they need it. Also if the scratching does not go down after I use ivermectin then can I assume that he scratches because of his long hair? (he scratches occasionally not too frequently, maybe a couple of times every day and it is in random spots, behind his ear, or his side)

If they're scratching, why wait? You'll just leave them in distress, and there's no need to do that. Treating for mites even if they don't have them doesn't cause problems unless you give an enormous overdose.

Nothing kills lice nits. Ivermectin requires three treatments about 7-10 days apart. Revolution only usually requires one because the blood levels stay high enough so that when the nits hatch and start biting, they are also killed.

Mine were treated recently for lice with revolution at the vets office. We did two treatments, based on their weight, two weeks apart. I haven't seen any other itchies or anything on their skin. I could see them on Bob squirming around. Pretty gross. Tom didn't have any that were noticeable but we treated him anyway since they live together. Better to be safe and make sure every one is clean. It was a pretty easy process. They are much happier now. I wish I would have noticed it sooner, I just thought they were itchy from the new bedding. Nope, buggies. Yuck.

I always treat only a week apart, and treat three times.

My long haired pigs don't scratch any more often than my short haired pigs, so I wouldn't assume that's why he scratches.

Mayonoreo, mange and mite spray is not good for guinea pigs. I wouldn't spray it on the cage.

Recently, it has been noticed that mites and lice are becoming resistant to Revolution and Ivermectin. Our rescue has now found that our piggies which used to require 2 -3 treatments, now require 7-13 treatments. This has now been confirmed by North American doctors and the UK. We are using a combination of Gorgeous Guinea Products and Heal x to give our piggies relief during the treatment and recovery process. This has been our experience and I thought I would share.

Try to getting the most current Revolution. Bugs become resistant to every poison we use against them. I'd be more inclined to trying a more natural remedy that effectively repels as their natural enemy.

I use apple cider vinegar for my pugs biting bug repellant. She's played side by side with flea infested dogs and never once brought home a flea.

Do we know if using vinegar would be bad for pigs?

Do you guys know a store/website that will ship the ivermectin to Canada? I tried the website you pasted here bpatters but they do not ship to Canada.
The only ivermectin I found on amazon that will ship to canada is this (broken link removed)
but it is pour on 1 Lt so Im not sure if it can be used for guinea pigs

Have you tried the Beaphar one from The Healthcounter? They ship from the U.K., worldwide. But it will take about a week for it to get there. If you really think it's mites, treat your pigs sooner. Can't you get it at your local pharmacy?

Do you guys know a store/website that will ship the ivermectin to Canada? I tried the website you pasted here bpatters but they do not ship to Canada.
The only ivermectin I found on amazon that will ship to canada is this (broken link removed)

That's the kind i used for mine. The syringe it comes with is way too big to accurately measure doses for guinea pigs, so you'll have to get your own 1CC (mL) syringes to treat them.

That's the kind i used for mine. The syringe it comes with is way too big to accurately measure doses for guinea pigs, so you'll have to get your own 1CC (mL) syringes to treat them.

Where did you get the syringes from? And also what is the difference between the 1 lt and .5% stuff? Are they both the same and safe to use?

Have you tried the Beaphar one from The Healthcounter? They ship from the U.K., worldwide. But it will take about a week for it to get there. If you really think it's mites, treat your pigs sooner. Can't you get it at your local pharmacy?

I have not tried that, I will check out the website and see if they have it. I am not sure if it is mites, and he is not scratching hard/too much so he has no scabs so it is not serious yet so I think it will be fine if the shipping takes a week.

Google best value pet supplies, this is where I purchase from and we are in Canada. Revolution is called Stronghold and Ivermectin should be the same. You can contact them, they are very helpful.

You know what? I just tried it with a U.S. address, and it said shipping would take 28 days! No idea why it would take so long, for it only took mine a week to get from the U.K. to Switzerland. Maybe they really SHIP it across the Atlantic ocean... :-(

Where did you get the syringes from? And also what is the difference between the 1 lt and .5% stuff? Are they both the same and safe to use?

I'm not certain, but i think they're saying it's 1 liter.
In the description on that link they say it's the .5% kind.

ETA: I ordered needless syringes off amazon. Sometimes you can also get them from pharmacies or your local vet.

Same stuff -- it's the .5% solution. You just need a 1 ml (1 cc) syringe to dose it.

(broken link removed)
(broken link removed)
(broken link removed)

The website 3GPigsplus1more suggested seemed pretty good. They have advantage, stronghold, and revolution products but I could not find any ivermectin. Now I am unsure which one to use because I am new to this. I read on guinealynx that ADVANTAGE does not kill mites but only kills lice so I guess that wont be useful for me, but what about the other two?
And will I need a prescription for revolution?
ALSO: will a pharmacy like shoppers drug mart have ivermectin?

Advantage can't be used on guinea pigs unless it's the old kind. The new stuff is usually marketed as Advantage II, but it's no good for guinea pigs.

Stronghold is the same thing as Revolution. It requires a vet prescription in the US and some other countries, but not all. I don't know about Canada.

Ivermectin is the cheapest of all the things you can use, and works just fine. You just have to repeat the dose to be sure to kill all the juvenile bugs.

Advantage can't be used on guinea pigs unless it's the old kind. The new stuff is usually marketed as Advantage II, but it's no good for guinea pigs.

Stronghold is the same thing as Revolution. It requires a vet prescription in the US and some other countries, but not all. I don't know about Canada.

Ivermectin is the cheapest of all the things you can use, and works just fine. You just have to repeat the dose to be sure to kill all the juvenile bugs.

I want to use ivermectin it seems the easiest to use, but its gonna cost about 60$ to ship it to Canada so that is a bit costly. I will keep looking for ivermectin online and hopefully I can find the 500 mL one that will ship to Canada

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.