Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Upper Levels Midwest cage suggestions for add-on

Mamapiggie

Cavy Slave
IMG_1405.jpg

Hi All! Maddie (the beauty lounging in the corner) lives here in her Midwest cage. She loves it and so do I. She is getting a new friend in hopefully the next few weeks named Lola...so they need some more space.

I would love any suggestions to help me add to her cage if possible. I was thinking of adding a second story loft area. I have the top of the Midwest cage and divider to work with and thought I could build flooring from coroplast along with a ramp. Has anyone done this before?

Should I just start over with another cage? I'm trying $$ wise to use what I have as a starting point. How much space do most of you have two sows? Wanting them to be happy and healthy.

Tnk you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TaChDi

Cavy Gazer
Hello there, if you haven't figured out how to build a loft yet for your Midwest home, maybe I can help. I brainstormed and brainstormed till I finally found a way to do so.. I used the top of the cage myself. The top of the cage comes in 4 collapsible parts. I used needle nose pliers to take off two of the four. I then over lapped them to make It about 18". I secured it with zip ties. I bought an ex large cat litter tray from Wal-Mart for less than $6, and cut a little entrance. I am using that on the loft, and that is their kitchen. I also used the ramps that came with the cage, over lapped them to make them a little longer and it is hung on their loft. I put a price of extra fleece on their ramp to make It a little softer on their feet instead of having the bars to climb. I'll post pics if I can figure out how to. (This is my very first post)

Pnkrdr

Cavy Slave
Hello there, if you haven't figured out how to build a loft yet for your Midwest home, maybe I can help. I brainstormed and brainstormed till I finally found a way to do so.. I used the top of the cage myself. The top of the cage comes in 4 collapsible parts. I used needle nose pliers to take off two of the four. I then over lapped them to make It about 18". I secured it with zip ties. I bought an ex large cat litter tray from Wal-Mart for less than $6, and cut a little entrance. I am using that on the loft, and that is their kitchen. I also used the ramps that came with the cage, over lapped them to make them a little longer and it is hung on their loft. I put a price of extra fleece on their ramp to make It a little softer on their feet instead of having the bars to climb. I'll post pics if I can figure out how to. (This is my very first post)
I too am hoping to expand up with a Midwest and would love to see your pics if you figure out how to post them. Where did you start the bottoms of the loft? I was thinking grids overlapping down to the floor then I could go half way between the second and third cross wires.

Last edited:

TaChDi

Cavy Gazer
I too am hoping to expand up with a Midwest and would love to see your pics if you figure out how to post them. Where did you start the bottoms of the loft? I was thinking grids overlapping down to the floor then I could go half way between the second and third cross wires.

Can you tell me how to post pics? Cause it would be easier to explain...

Pnkrdr

Cavy Slave
Are you using

Pnkrdr

Cavy Slave
Can you tell me how to post pics? Cause it would be easier to explain...

Are you using a smartphone with tapatalk or a laptop?
Laptop....
2d73a6f076e66061625f0a40e034f010.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TaChDi

Cavy Gazer

TaChDi

Cavy Gazer

TaChDi

Cavy Gazer
I kinda figured out how, although they didn't come out the greatest...

TaChDi

Cavy Gazer
Hope these help you get a better understanding of what I did..

Attachments

20170515_121116.jpg 20170515_121220.jpg 20170515_121112.jpg

BeckieL

Cavy Slave
My friend connected two midwest cages and it works. Her GP is quite a jumper and seems to love clearing the plastic base where they meet up, but if yours don't jump as well you could put a brick on either side as a step.

miniver

Cavy Slave
I would be concerned about the gap between the solid ramp and the litter tray. Their legs could get caught and injured.

Pnkrdr

Cavy Slave
i was thinking a stand alone c&c to free standing to easy remove for cleaning but I like the litter box idea.

TaChDi

Cavy Gazer
I would be concerned about the gap between the solid ramp and the litter tray. Their legs could get caught and injured.

Yeah, I see what you mean but they hop right over it.. No issues so far, but maybe I'll lay something down over it.

miniver

Cavy Slave
Yeah, I see what you mean but they hop right over it.. No issues so far, but maybe I'll lay something down over it.

Maybe just a matching bit of fleece to cover the holes. It seems like guinea pigs will find anyway they can to get into trouble. :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.