Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Vegetables Menu for my piggies, is it Ok?

PrinceKhai

Cavy Slave
Hi All,

Im feeding my both 1month piggies with(Daily 2 times per day Mor & Night) :

Tomatoes, green & red pepper, carrot and those vege below (it seems like lettuce, is it?) plus Oxbow Pellet and Hay.

Is it this menu suitable for my both underage piggies?

Do I need to add some new menu or what?

Sometimes I also give them corn husk and silk.

Menu for my piggies, is it Ok?

That lettece looks fine. It looks like romaine or green leaf to me. Iceberg is the only lettece pigs cannot have. Have you checked out Ly's great feeding chart? It lists all veggies and fruits pigs can have and how often. It is in the diet/nutrition section of the forum. Check it out.

i already checked and I not sure how is the vege looks like,

Because sometimes I told the ppl inside wet market,

they not even can give me what I want and I need to find it myself inside the vege store,

May I know how is the iceberg looks like?

i already checked and I not sure how is the vege looks like,

Because sometimes I told the ppl inside wet market,

they not even can give me what I want and I need to find it myself inside the vege store,

May I know how is the iceberg looks like?
Iceberg lettuce is very pale and white. It has no nutrition and is basically water. Here's some pictures. (broken link removed) and (broken link removed)

What I bought inside the picture is not Iceberg I think,

Iceberg should be looks like a cabbage

Yes, iceberg, looks like a cabbage head. They can have all other types of lettece.

The one you bought looks like green leaf lettuce. You're right about iceberg looking like cabbage. The texture is different though. Iceberg is kind of translucent compared to cabbage.

Thanks all,

The guides from u all are much appreciated for a newbie like me !!!

Welcome! Glad we could help. Feel free to ask all the questions you need. We are here for you and your piggies!!

You should perhaps be careful feeding tomatoes daily, as they are quite acidic & could cause mouth sores in some pigs, carrots should basically be regarded as treats as they contain quite a lot of vitamin A & sugars.

I would advice you to add at least another kind of lettuce & some coriander as daily staples. And then add rotational veggies per Ly's chart for a properly varied diet. :)

Welcome!

PrinceKhai, give them only one or two of those tomatoes each day, and limit the carrot to one small chunk.

Corn husks and silks are excellent foods for them -- you can give them a lot of those. Just be sure to pull the outer husks off, and cut the ends of the silks -- corn (at least here in the States) is grown with a lot of pesticides, and you need to get rid of those before feeding it. You can occasionally cut off a 1-inch wheel of corn and give one to each of them, and if you cut the kernels off the corn, you can give them the cob to gnaw on more frequently.

And, Google is your friend. If you see a vegetable mentioned and you don't know what it is, Google the name and the word "picture" and you should be able to see what it looks like.

Really Thanks a lot !

Will go and get those vege by tomorrow morning !! =D

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.