Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Male or female??

Piggersrule

Cavy Slave
Last night the girls that live acrossed the street from me came over to tell me that they got a Guinea pig from Petsmart. They wanted me to go look at her, so I did. The salesperson said that the pig is a female at around 12-14 weeks old, she does look like a female. I told them (the parents) that the cage is way too small and told them about the cc cages. I gave them what I had left and made a 2x2 for their piggy. The Mrs. is going to go to Target today to get a box of grids and get a sheet of coroplast. I told them about how bad petstore animals are and how pigs are herding animals. They now want to ADOPT a piggy friend. I took a couple of pictures of her "privates" to make sure she is a female before adopting a friend for her.

(broken link removed)(broken link removed)
Click the picture for larger viewing.

Thanks!!

Percy's Mom

Cavy Slave
That is so great that you're passing on what you've learned and are helping them to make their new family member a larger cage and encouraging them to adopt a friend!

I'm torn on the gender of this pig. Part of me is thinking it looks like a boy. Have you tried pressing above or around the genital area to see if you can get a penis to appear?

Piggersrule

Cavy Slave
I tried a couple of times and couldn't get a penis to pop out but the piggy wasn't being to cooperative. I am going over there when she gets home to help her with putting the cage together. I will have my son go with me to help hold her so that I can get better pictures and to examine her better. I was able to spread her genitals and I thought I could see the "Y" but she was wiggling to much. I will post more pictures later. I just want to be absolutly sure about the sex before they go out and adopt a piggy friend, we don't want babies. I did suggest taking her to the vet for a check up and they agreed. She said that the petsore gave her a coupon for a free check up at their vet. I told her to ditch that coupon and take her to my vet. That vet office is working for the petstore and of course they are going to say that the pig is healthy when it may not be. Her husband is going to call today to set an appt.

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
You might want to have them treat the pig for mites.Most pet store pigs have them. And keep an eye on her - they often come down with URI and she may be pregnant too.

seagirl96

Cavy Slave
Not an expert, but I am thinking boy. If you have a rescue nearby, ask for an expert evaluation!

Piggersrule

Cavy Slave
Here are some more pictures, I hope these ones are better. I can't seem to get a penis to pop out if she is a he. I have applied pressure to the upper part of the genitals (lower part of the abdomen) and nothing pops out.

(broken link removed)(broken link removed)(broken link removed)
click the pictures
Thanks

Piggersrule

Cavy Slave
Sorry, I have 2 more pictures, I thought I had more....goofy me!

(broken link removed)(broken link removed)
click the pictures

Thanks again!

OliversMomma

Cavy Slave
Looks like a girl to me... i've now got a little girl who's about 10 weeks... and i just looked, looks quite similar.

chesneycwgrl

Cavy Quiet
Cavy Gazer
one of my younger girls (Charlie) looked like that, I thought she was a boy, but turned out after the vet that she was a girl.

From what I have learned though the vet, that would be a girl :)

Piggersrule

Cavy Slave
Update: not a good one. Little Katie came over last night to tell me that something is wrong with Miss Wiggles. I went over only to discover that she is sick with a URI and she appears to be pregnant. She was not in good shape last night. I brought over some Critical care and showed them how to feed her with it. She is also dehydrated so I fed her some of my Pedialyte. I told them they need to get her to the vet ASAP. This morning the mom came over and told me that Miss Wiggles died during the night. The two girls Katie and Alex are so upset over this. Little Katie said to me, "Petsmart is not smart they are dumb jerk heads" The mom looks at Katie and said" Katie, watch your mouth" I said to the mom, "she's right, pet stores don't care that they sell you a sick, pregnant, lice/mite invested animal. All they care about is the dollars they are making off of your sale." The mom said that they will never see another penny from her again. Miss Wiggles may have paid the ultimate price but a very valuable lesson was learned from her dealth, don't buy pet shop animals!

Fay

Cavy Slave
I'm sorry to hear that but it's good that the kids and their mom learned a valuable lesson. I hope others that read this thread and plan to buy an animal from a petstore will think twice.

Mommy Of One

Cavy Slave
Aw.
That is so horrible she died, but atleast a lesson was learned from this.
Do they still plan on adopting piggies?

MissCin

Cavy Slave
Oh my. Thats terrible! I hope that they still plan to ADOPT. Keep us updated :)

envisionary333

Cavy Slave
Yet another terrible pet store tragedy. If you hadn't been there to help, they might never have realized that the pet store was to blame and might have gone there to get another guinea pig. I'm so glad you were there for them and I'm certain they appreciate it very much. Now they will spread the word about pet stores as well, and hopefully more people will be reached. Perhaps you can go with them to a local shelter to pick out a nice guinea pig pair when they feel ready. It's so sad for the little girl to have to learn such a tough lesson the hard way, but I imagine it will instill within her a desire to help animals throughout her life. You have done a very wonderful thing for them in spite of the tragedy. Well done. :hug:

Piggersrule

Cavy Slave
The mom came over this afternoon to tell me that Miss Wiggles was laid to rest in there back yard. She also brought over the grids i gave her and asked about rescueing a piggy. She wants to adopted but not sure when. I told her when she is ready I would be more than glad to help her find a nice healthy bonded pair. I feel bad that this happened but I am glad that the family see's what pet stores are all about. I am so glad that they will never again purchase an animal from pet shops again.

suzilovespiggie

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
So very sad. Thank you for being there. I do hope a bonded pair can be found, so these little girls can learn to be good parents, now and in the future.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.