Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Conditions Male Guinea Pig Smells Horrid

CJMoore

Cavy Gazer
I have four males together in one cage. There are two adults and two babies. The cage is smaller than what they should have but I have nine foster pigs and three of them need to be housed alone. One pig smells absolutely disgusting. Does he smell because a health issue or does he just need a bath? If so how do I bath him?

Soecara

Cavy Slave
Where is the smell coming from?

If the whole cage smells like it (and it is more intense just after you clean the cage) he is probably just scent marking, but if it is coming from a specific area like his mouth or rear it could be a health issue. Bathing probably won't help unless the smell is coming from dirty fur, some of my boys actually scent mark more after a bath.

CJMoore

Cavy Gazer
It is just him, the others and the cage is fine. We noticed that his private area seems more swollen compared to the others.

CJMoore

Cavy Gazer
We looked closer at him and found a very large hole near is private area. At first we thought it was a bot fly since it looked similar to the pictures we found. We brought Lewis to the vet and she flushed it but found no fly. She said it was a huge abscess and he had a high chance of dying. It has been a while since then and Lewis is doing fine. The hole is healing and he no longer smells. He seems healthy and happy. I don't think he will being dying any time soon!

AnnikasMommy

Cavy Slave
Glad you took him to the vet and he is doing ok. If you think about it, when humans have infectious areas they have an odor.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.