Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Weight Loss Lost 1.4 ounces over 3 weeks

• Thread starter iluvmypigclover
  • Start date

iluvmypigclover

Cavy Slave
My piggy Clover used to be quite a pudge muffin--she weighed over 3 pounds. However, as soon as I found this site, I gave her floor time, I built a bigger cage, and I gave her less fruit. She became 2lbs 10.4 oz after about 6 months with her new cage. The weight loss was not rapid--she just became much more active! I usually do weekly weighings, but I forgot to do them the past two weeks, and I noticed that Clover lost yet another 1.4oz, making her 2lbs 9oz. She's even MORE active than before now! I am hoping that this is a healthy weight for her, and that we can help her maintain this. She will be 5 years old in November. Can somebody let me know if this weight loss is too rapid? Clover is actually running around her cage more than before, so I'm assuming that this is the cause of the weight loss. I'm just here to double check! And yes, I'll do weekly weighings now--sorry I was negligant before!

fieryone

Cavy Slave
It's hard not to worry when they lose weight, but I have a heavy pig losing weight and have been keeping an eye on what is normal and not. An ounce or so fluctuation is okay per guinealynx

Last edited:

iluvmypigclover

Cavy Slave
Ah, I just did a little math, and it turns out Clover is actually still a little bit overweight. I'll have to make sure she runs around a little extra. Thanks for the advice!

fieryone

Cavy Slave
My new guy has lost about 9 ounces in the past 4 weeks. He was a rather portly 3lbs 4.8ozs when we got him. Now that he has a good, balanced diet (instead of just a steady stream of fattening, bad quality pellets) and is in a large cage so he can finally move around, I try not to worry about the large weight loss. He looks healthy, is much more active and happy, eats, and has been to the vet twice. He is also just finishing up a round of antibiotics following his neuter. It's hard not to worry, though

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
1.4 oz. is not a drastic amount of weight to lose. If it were several ounces, it could raise an alarm.

A lot of time when pigs are overweight due to their living conditions then are in better conditions with proper exercise and diet, they can lose weight. I would monitor her and do weekly weighings. Watch for any signs of illness.

iluvmypigclover

Cavy Slave
Yeah, my intention was for her to lose weight to become healthy. I had done some math and thought that she was underweight, but then realized that I was converting ounces to grams wrong, and that Clover is still somewhat overweight. I've been increasing her activity level and feeding her more nutritiously, along with constant additions and rearrangement of her cage. I'll watch for signs of illness--she looks perfectly healthy right now! Thanks for the advice!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.