Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Loss of Mickey to Rapid Illness

Gonzo

Cavy Slave
Mickey, our oldest guinea pig, died early this morning. She went from having no apparent symptoms to death in less than 24 hours. She was a female, about 4.5 years old.

Yesterday morning during their cage cleanup and fresh hay routine, I noticed Mickey was a little slow to race out for the fresh hay. When she did come out of her pigloo, she seemed a little unsteady, but went about eating, purring as I petted her, and otherwise seemingly okay. It bothered me a bit, so when I fed them their afternoon vegies a few hours later, I made it a point to watch her.

As she came out to eat, she was very unsteady, staggering, and tilting her head. I called the vet and rushed her there ASAP. They diagnosed her with an ear infection, gave me drops, TMS and MetaCam. I gave her the first dose of her meds around 7pm, and then another dose about 2:30 or 3am (about 8 hours later). The dosing was at 12 hour intervals, but I thought 8 hours was safe enough. All the time, she continued to eat veggies and some pellets; and even though she was very unsteady, she continued to purr and seemed to have to pain.

This morning we found her dead - only about 4 hours later than when I last checked on her. I am flabbergasted, and extremely saddened. This is the quickest I've ever rushed a piggie to the vet, as I learned a lesson after the last piggie we lost.

We lost Whiskers, her daughter, only about 5 or 6 weeks ago, apparently to a bad staph infection, or possibly cancer, since her lymph nodes were badly swollen. She initially appeared to have an eye infection, and I treated it with some anti-biotic ointment and drops for a day or so before taking her to the vet. We ended up having to put Whiskers down, as she was not eating enough, and got to the point where she was not even able to walk. I did not want to make the same mistake with Mickey, but alas... we lost her anyway.

I just don't understand it. She went SO quickly, and really had no signs of problems other than the ear. This is the third piggie we've lost this year! We started out with two 'males', but Mickey turned out to be a female, and we ended up with 4 piggies. We lost Griffin, the father, back in February, to bloat.

We only have one left - Bandit. Even though I know he needs a companion, I'm afraid we can't get any more, as each loss devastates us all, especially my daughter, who suffers from depression. We will just have to work doubly hard to make Bandit's life as active and engaged as possible. We just don't have the 'psychic energy' to take on any more piggies, and we can't bare to part with him. Thank you for indulging me if you made it this far!

I'm sorry--that sounds really hard!

How old is Bandit? In case you give it some time and change your mind about getting a buddy, keep in mind that many guinea pigs do live to be 7 or 8 with few health problems as long as you weigh them weekly and provide a proper diet and vet care. It sounds like you were doing those things and just got really unlucky.

At least she did not seem to be in too much pain and was lucky enough to have you to get her the care she needed.

Bandit is just over 4 years old. He and Whiskers were born to Mickey and Griffin about 3 months after we got them. We had Bandit neutered after Griffin died so that he, Mickey and Whiskers could all live together. They were all happy together for the time they had, in a nice, large 4 x 4 cube cage. Bandit seems perplexed and a little afraid now that he's alone. I agree that it would be best if he had a mate. Perhaps if we could find another piggie about the same age. But then again, 4 is not really that old, so I'm really vexed by the loss of them at this age.

Of all the pets I've had in my life (and I'm 53), none have touched my heart and been so endearing as guinea pigs have. After all this, my heart is 'tired', if that makes any sense...

• Post hidden due to user being banned.
If you plan on having more guinea pigs after him then you may consider getting two more guinea pigs otherwise you could be stuck in the same situation you are in now- with one being alone. Maybe you can find a same gendered pair for adoption that can live with him.

I am really sorry for your loss. Please keep us posted on your decision to adopt or not adopt.

I am so sorry. You are such a dedicated owner and you must be so horribly sad.

R.I.P Mickey =(

Gonzo, I'm so sorry. I agree with you about how endearing they are and I completely understand how your heart is tired. It seems the older that we get, the harder these losses hit us. My thoughts are with you.

Awww, I'm so sorry to hear about your loss, really seems like bad luck with losing two piggies to different illnesses so quickly, gosh I know it's hard, hang in there and you will be able to give a homeless piggie a loving caring home. Good luck.

A day that starts with no Mickey
Is a tear filled day for me

Think of Mickey Up Above
Think of all the days filled with her love
Dry your eyes from all those tears
She loved you every second of all her years

She left Bandit alone Behind
So to him please be very kind

Think of Mickey over the Rainbow
Think of her as the old mother sow
Dry your eyes from all those tears
Remember her wheeks and waddles through all the years

Now Bandit needs your devotion
To him show much emotion

A day that ends with no Mickey
Is a tear filled day for me

That was a beautiful poem. Thank you very much.

I had Bandit upstairs with me all day today, in a small 2x2 C&C cage we have. After I cleaned his big cage downstairs, I took him back. When I put him in, he walked around and around, looking everywhere, like he was looking for Mickey. I almost cried. But, I put in a giant pile of hay, and he quickly disappeared into it, and started feasting away.

I'm sorry for your loss. I can't imagine how it feels to lose pets anymore; my father had our 3 cats put down when I was a little girl, after they kept getting sick and making messes. (my mother had died and probably they weren't getting proper care.) I blocked all that out for many, many years. I think we have to open ourselves to the losses otherwise we miss out on the love. I hope you are able to recover from your grief this year and get a new little friend for Bandit.

I'm sorry for your loss. I can't imagine how it feels to lose pets anymore; my father had our 3 cats put down when I was a little girl, after they kept getting sick and making messes. (my mother had died and probably they weren't getting proper care.) I blocked all that out for many, many years. I think we have to open ourselves to the losses otherwise we miss out on the love. I hope you are able to recover from your grief this year and get a new little friend for Bandit.
You know, it's funny... I've had pets all my life (I'm 53), and as a kid, I went through mice, gerbils, innumerable dogs and cats (at one time, 15!!!), and it never affected me like these piggies have. It's like my heart has guinea pig receptors that they latch on to. I want what's best for Bandit, but I have to consider my daughter, too. Regardless, these guys will forever be unforgettable.

I am so sorry for your loss. May Mickey rest in peace.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.