Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fleece Looking to switch to fleece

GameOfCavies

Cavy Slave
Like the title says, I'd like to switch to fleece bedding for my guinea pigs. I just wanted to ask a couple questions. Should I get a liner specifically made for this, or would just fleece blankets with something like a towel under it for the absorbent layer work?

Comely Guineas

Cavy Slave
i use 2-3 layers of normal bath towels with fleece layer on top. works just fine for me

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
People generally have more trouble controlling odor with towels underneath than with u-haul bedding or mattress padding. But you certainly don't need liners made specifically for the purpose.

new2piggs

Cavy Slave
I'm pretty new to this, having only had our piggies for a little over 4 weeks but we are using fleece with towels underneath. I change the towels and fleece every 3-4 days and spot clean every day (usually twice a day). I also have lots of 10in x 10in pee pads that I change every day. I've noticed no odors at all (except when they pee in the cardboard barn).

Angela Thompson

Cavy Slave
Really any absorbent material will work just fine. What I have noticed is U-haul pads allow you to go longer without changing the liner, and just changing pee pads, just like you are doing. U-haul pads really need to be inside of layers of fleece by no sew or sewing method as over time they tend to get thin after a year or so! I have a 4X2 with one little girl and a 5 X 2 with two sisters, so I switched to fleece sometime ago and learned to sew all my liners, lol. One last thing, just make sure you wash your fleece with vinegar, detergent., like free and clear, and I use dawn sometimes. I always test all new fleece to make sure the liquid immediately is absorbed and the area is dry soon after. Other than that, Have fun with fleece!

GameOfCavies

Cavy Slave
Alright. So I've been trying to get the fleece I bough to wick for over a week now, but no luck. It's anti pill fleece. I've run it through the washer with only vinegar most likely around 5 times. Then I dry it with only the fleece in, no dryer sheet, no fabric softener, no nothing. But still I get those big beads of water. What am I doing wrong? Any tips?

lissie

Cavy Slave
Wash with bleach, detergent and hot water. Vinegar is not strong enough to strip the coating they put on fleece during manufacturing.

GameOfCavies

Cavy Slave
Alright. Will the bleach damage the color? I'm a little concerned because I haven't really used bleach much in laundry before. I don't own a lot of whites.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Fleece is nearly indestructible. Bleach won't hurt it at all -- unless it's the really really cheap stuff with the pattern printed on it, the color goes all the way through the thread.

Bethanyhb

Cavy Slave
I haven't been using bleach, but I'm thinking I should start. How much do you use?

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
I would use a second rinse if you use bleach. As for the fleece not wicking, I have had some wick in 2 washes and others take over 6. And if you check each side of the fleece, you may notice one side does wick and the other side does not. If you can, I would fill the tub with all hot water and add some bleach, swish around with a large serving spoon or ruler, add the fleece and allow it to soak for hours, drain rinse and wash in the washer and dry. There is a chemical layer that has to be broken that almost al new fabrics have on them, some stronger than others. I think the long hot soak with bleach might do better at breaking it.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.