Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Dominance Looking for some tips/education on my pigs! :)

John San H

Cavy Slave
Thanks for some constructive feedback. I didn't know there were such anti breeding on GP's. Pregnacy is always risky, no matter what species you are. I'm not looking to anger anyone, just information. So please, keep the hate at a minimum.

Kuro weighs in at 275g, he's very tiny. That's why he's not neutered.
My girls are at 850g - 880g.

bubblepig

Cavy Slave
We aren't hating,just informing. I'm sorry if I came across as rude,but this forum has a cause I strongly believe in. PRO rescue and ANTI Breeder. Just a quick question..Why did you get Kuro if you already had girls?

GoldieBrodiexx

Cavy Slave
STOP LETTING KURO BY THE GIRLS!
He's biting at the cage to get to them and mount them! He WILL impregnant them which,especially sows older than 6 months,can kill then. Why did you even GET an un-neutered male?!

That's a bit rude! Kuro is just a baby, and guinea pigs have to be a certain weight before they can be neutered.
Also, it is not a good idea to breed guinea pigs due to the number of unwanted pigs in rescues and the dangers it can pose to sows and babies.

Sorry, didn't see that people had already said.

Last edited:

bubblepig

Cavy Slave
That's a bit rude! Kuro is just a baby, and guinea pigs have to be a certain weight before they can be neutered.
I already apologized and,I know I was rude. Bit after our warnings he kept putting Kuro by the sows. I know I think it's (3/4?) months but the point is why did he get a male? Again I already stated my apology.

clb89

Cavy Slave
It is actually right in the rules of the forum that you agreed to when you joined:

"First of all, you MUST be at least 13 years old to post on this forum. If you are not, I require your parent's permission. I've received parental permission for a number of posters over time.

There is a WARNING to all CAVY SLAVE category members on the INTRODUCTIONS forum, that says to lighten up and do not instigate arguments with new members.

People who have read this forum for a while and especially members KNOW what this forum is about.

• ANTI-BREEDING
  • PROPERLY-SIZED, SAFE CAGES
  • INDOOR-ONLY GUINEA PIGS
  • PROPER CARE
  • AGAINST BUYING PETS IN PET STORES
  • TWO GUINEA PIGS, NOT JUST ONE

More rules are here: https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/support-news-membership/81979-alert-forum-behavior-policy.html

You can stay here, and ask for advice. Just don't discuss the fact that you are or intending to breed. Also male can impregnate female in just a few seconds, thirty minutes is plenty of time.

John San H

Cavy Slave
Kuro was actually thought to be a girl, bit we double checked and he turned out to be a boy. I wanted him anyway, because I was already debating with my self to get a boy so I could have balance in the domination chain of my pair. Kitty is a really mean piggy at times. And I've read in a book that the male will unleash a scent that can calm the females. So basically I thought it would be ideal to get him and neuter him when he's ready. But it's my own ignorance to think such a small piggy would not be able to mate. So I've taken the hint :).

I might think of adopting some babies from an accidental litter or even pigs that needs to relocate, but here in Norway and specificly Oslo it's not easy to come by. And my first thoughts are health issues with the pigs. Our local pet store here are super nice, and all their animals are taken good care of. I was waiting for them to get more guinea pigs and specifically girls because I wanted to adopt one. After months of waiting they finally had a litter of 4 pigs, thought to be girls because that's what they were anticipating, but they turned out to be boys :p I instantly fell for Kuro when I first saw him, and had to wait over the weekend for the health checks to be done. And when I returned over the weekend, what I thought was a girl, was a boy! :D

bubblepig

Cavy Slave
Ah,okay. I've had mis-sexing issues too. I'm sorry I got on your case. I didn't intend to be rude,just trying to help for the sake of the piggies. :)

clb89

Cavy Slave
Yeah miss-sexing does happen quite often it seems like. I wish you luck with your guinea pigs.

John San H

Cavy Slave
Whilst I do respect the rules and regulations of the forum (I have to admit to skimmed by them), please understand not everything is cut in stone. I have read bad stories about pet stores before, I was sceptical. But I work at the same center the pet store is at and I daily visited it. That made me decide to adopt a pet from there to begin with. If this decision will dub me unwelcome then I would feel I'm in the wrong place.
I promise though not to bring up breeding. I was sceptical with it to begin with. But when Kuro joined my family it came up in my mind. But I will rid of it because I respect your views and more than happy to join your cause for anti Breeding. :)

clb89

Cavy Slave
Whilst I do respect the rules and regulations of the forum (I have to admit to skimmed by them), please understand not everything is cut in stone. I have read bad stories about pet stores before, I was sceptical. But I work at the same center the pet store is at and I daily visited it. That made me decide to adopt a pet from there to begin with. If this decision will dub me unwelcome then I would feel I'm in the wrong place.
I promise though not to bring up breeding. I was sceptical with it to begin with. But when Kuro joined my family it came up in my mind. But I will rid of it because I respect your views and more than happy to join your cause for anti Breeding. :)

As I said before you can stay, anyone can join this forum, seek advice and so forth. Just be mindful of the rules and not argue with others about them on this forum.

HannibalLecter

Cavy Slave
Thanks for some constructive feedback. I didn't know there were such anti breeding on GP's. Pregnacy is always risky, no matter what species you are. I'm not looking to anger anyone, just information. So please, keep the hate at a minimum.

Kuro weighs in at 275g, he's very tiny. That's why he's not neutered.
My girls are at 850g - 880g.

Indeed, but if there was a 20% risk of death to a human, that human would be adviced not to get pregnant.
The pig has no choice, and as pig pups are born large & developed & sows hipbones stiffen at an early age, the risks are much higher. Your pigs have white areas, which means that they may carry the lethal gene. As you have no knowledge of their genetics it would be irresponsible to breed them.

John San H

Cavy Slave
Indeed, but if there was a 20% risk of death to a human, that human would be adviced not to get pregnant.
The pig has no choice, and as pig pups are born large & developed & sows hipbones stiffen at an early age, the risks are much higher. Your pigs have white areas, which means that they may carry the lethal gene. As you have no knowledge of their genetics it would be irresponsible to breed them.

I understand, thank you for your help. Could you elaborate on white areas?

And does anyone think Kuro could help Kitty calm down?

This is really what I want to know...

Edit: Oh and Bubblepig, don't worry about it. I respect your concerns and would have shared your views if I had your knowledge

clb89

Cavy Slave
@(broken link removed) Kitty may just naturally be a hyper guinea pig, it's probably part of her personality. Perhaps even just puberty. She may calm down more as she ages or she may just always be that way. It's a toss up on how other guinea pigs will affect her.
From what I have read on here lethal genes can give a huge increase to chance of sick baby guinea pigs, disabled guinea pigs, or even miscarriages.

R5 plus

Cavy Slave
Kitty could remain the dominant pig. As long as there is no bloodshed, all is well. They have to be allowed to work out who is boss. Kuro will go through puberty and may try (and possibly succeed) to be the head honcho. There's no sure way to tell until the whole thing plays out.

Make sure any hideys have 2 ways out, use fleece forests, etc. Make sure there are 2 water bottles, pellet bowls, etc. Make sure that everybody is eating their fair share. This may mean taking the least dominant piggie out for laptime and her share of veggies.

White indicates the lethal gene. They could possibly bear babies with shortened lives and severe birth defects.

cavy_jdas

Cavy Slave
Hi @Jon San H - I would start with a larger cage for Kitty & Zelda. Even though they may technically have enough room, some piggies just need more. I also think a wider cage is beneficial because they can easily pass each other without having to be too close. Ditto the 2 of everything, opposite sides of the cage.

For your new guy, yes, look at neutering him when he is older. A single neutered male with one or two females is typically a good combo. Until that time, you need to keep him separated from the girls 100% of the time. At three weeks a male can mate, regardless of the difference in size between them. It's just not worth the risk.

Additionally, each time to allow him with the girls, even if it's just a minute or two, you change the social dynamic of the group. You may not see anything, but it honestly does affect it. This can also lead to more issues with the two girls, causing Kitty to be feeling that she must continuously assert dominance over Zelda rather than accepting the social structure as being established between them. It's simply better all around to keep the boy apart until he is neutered.

John San H

Cavy Slave
Thank you all for the helpful feedback.

A new a larger cage space is on the way, I just have to find the materials to make one. Kuro will not come near the girls any more I promise.
Also, can I have the cages next to eachother or should I seperate them even more?

I do really appreciate any pointers you can give me.

HannibalLecter

Cavy Slave
Thank you all for the helpful feedback.

A new a larger cage space is on the way, I just have to find the materials to make one. Kuro will not come near the girls any more I promise.
Also, can I have the cages next to eachother or should I seperate them even more?

I do really appreciate any pointers you can give me.

It's fine to keep the cages next to each other as long as the cage with the male has a cover. It's good for him to still be able to hear & smell them.
While most guinea pigs don't climb, boys can suddenly gain amazing climbing skills when housed next to ladies. ;)

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
There are hundreds of threads on these forums about breeding and purchases from pet stores. There's a search box at the top of the page. There'sa list of forums under the Forums tab at the top of the page. There's also information at https://www.cavyspirit.com.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.