Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Rescues Fostering tips :)

Way too cute!

Simon was initially called Simoncelli, after a motorcycle racer.

Then "Celli" morphed into Jelly, then Jelly Bean. Now it's Beans, Beanarino, Fluffy Beans, Floof, Floofy Goof, d*ckhead, Silly beans, Fuzzy Butt........You get the idea.

Leo is Leo the Lion. Then Leo the Lyman. Lyman, Orca Pork (because he has colouring like a killer whale.) Chonk, Chonky, Chonky Beast.... Beastamoo (cow colouring too) and that's where we are now..........

We went to the vet today. Our dr had a good method to restrain him to where he wasn’t able to bite (much). He was very vocal and screamed quite a bit. Long story short, we did xrays after Wally reacted to his hips being manipulated. He has an old/healed fracture on his left leg. Due to the poor healing, he has arthritis on both back legs. We are going to try pain meds. So my guess is he bites due to both pain and behavior reasons.

He had to be drugged in order to get xrays and have a safe oral exam. He got midazlam and buphroprine (can’t spell then). He didn’t want to eat much when we got home. Obviously I am hoping he will go back to normal. He probably got VERY stressed out over the three hours we were there. I hope when I get home from my volunteering he feel better! I gave him a vitamin c cookie and bell pepper before I left that he nibbled at.

You have more experience than I do, but when I trim nails I use something like long strips of frozen corn husk or lettuce. That keeps their mouth busy and they don’t fidget as much.

Perhaps you have already read my post detailing how I approach nail trims. Check it out here:

https://www.guineapigcages.com/threads/how-to-get-the-pigs-used-to-being-picked-up-and-held.129795/

I think I omitted this information concerning the recommended scissors. A pic is attached below. Keep in mind that this works ONLY if they don't have black nails. Use a pair of nail scissors that encircle the nail rather than people clippers which may splinter the nail. Position the scissors just above the vein in the nail and clip in one smooth stroke. Now if your cavy has black nails like my Rafi, you must be conservative as to how much you take off at a time!

Position the scissors where you think you will be safe. Slowly clamp down on the nail to apply pressure, but don't cut as yet. If the cavy cries out, then you know that you're on the vein and reposition the scissors. If he doesn't yelp, then finish the cut.

Once again I remind you that s/he will probably thrash and loudly complain throughout the process no matter how tame. My Rafi is the ultimate lap piggy, but he absolutely detests grooming time for nails, ears, and yes, a butt cleaning.

You may cut too short and it bleeds. Don't panic, but DO take mental notes for the future. You can use something like a "styptic pencil" or similar, cornstarch, flour (if desperate), or I use a powder from a Chinese herb store called Yunnan Paiyao (very common). Whatever you use, just put a dab on a Q-tip and then on the nail. As an aside, I don't bribe Rafi with anything. Once the process is complete, then I snuggle him and offer a treat.

While we're on the subject of treats, I don't buy any sort of commercial treats for my cavies (absolutely no judgment). There are certain foods that are like "crack" to him and those are reserved for treats. It varies by the individual piggy. Banana (reserved for very special occasions), dandelion greens, radicchio, corn husks, canteloupe or watermelon rind with a small bit of flesh left on it, etc.

Yes, and I too saw the adoption was probably imminent. Congratulations!

Attachments

Nail scissors.jpg
He's still been feeling unwell and won't eat. He just sits there and stares (or sleeps). He would eat some veggies, pellets, and a vitamin c cookie, but I had to hand it to him. I started to assist feed him at 2pm. I was going to do again but he's eating some hay on his own so I'll leave him alone. Next time I will not be sedating him. I didn't think he'd have this sort of problem. If an old boar like Little Bear could survive surgery and recover, I expected this poor young guy to be just fine.

He's still been feeling unwell and won't eat. He just sits there and stares (or sleeps). He would eat some veggies, pellets, and a vitamin c cookie, but I had to hand it to him. I started to assist feed him at 2pm. I was going to do again but he's eating some hay on his own so I'll leave him alone. Next time I will not be sedating him. I didn't think he'd have this sort of problem. If an old boar like Little Bear could survive surgery and recover, I expected this poor young guy to be just fine.
Walter has a hangover!😵‍💫 He will be quite alright. It's not uncommon for a cavy to be lethargic and just want to sleep after being sedated. I would leave him alone and let him come around in his own time. Rather like we humans being sedated and then sleepy afterward. He's a big healthy boy and missing a meal won't harm him.

It probably was absolutely necessary--and quite common-- to sedate him to get the info the Vet needed. If he ever needs dental work, then he will need to be sedated each time. Sometimes a Vet will just "whiff" him with the gas (it means what you think)......just long enough to get a good look in the mouth, or to keep still for an x-ray.

He is better this morning. He is acting more normal and eating on his own. I don't feel he's 100% normal, but it is better.

I completely understand the need to sedate aggressive pets. I saw it all the time when I worked at Banfield. People would often decline sedating their pets, stating they 'aren't like this at home' and so on. I've watched my coworkers try to restrain writhing, unruly large dogs. I've never had a pig react like Walter did at the vet. He was wheeking in terror and trying to bite, but the doctor was able to restrain him in a way where he couldn't turn his head and bite. I gave them ample warning that he was going to be a handful.

Sedation was the only way we were able to do an oral exam on him. His teeth all look great but his front teeth are growing...I forgot how she phrased it, but they are a bit angled out. Back teeth are perfect at least.

Next time I'll see if we can do isoflourene (sp?) along with potential observation for a bit at the vet before I bring him home. It stressed me out too much to see him refuse food.

Anyway, as for his arthritis, are there any glucosamine supplements out there for guinea pigs aside from Oxbow?

Good to know that Walter has perked up! If you haven't seen one of your cavies act like you describe, yes, it can be stressful for you. Like I previously said, my otherwise calm Rafi was shrieking, writhing, and kicking this afternoon for grooming day. I'm surprised that you didn't hear him all the way at your house! 😫 He is so exhausted from all the "trauma" that he is napping with visions of his dinner that will arrive shortly.

Insofar as glucosamine supplements are concerned, I'm afraid I can't help. When I was in practice patients would ask me about glucosamine, and my response was "If you find that it helps, then by all means use it. Some folks find it beneficial and others derive no benefit from it. For me, it just gave me expensive urine and was a waste of money."

Perhaps @bpatters will come along and add her knowledge. I seem to recall that she knows of an herbal supplement that is reputed to be effective.

I am still worried about him because he hasn't fully recovered and returned to not really eating anything. He will come beg for treats and fuss when I take him out to give syringe feed, but he's not eating much on his own. He will take pellets, vitamin c treat, hay, etc but not fully eat it. I'm really worried about him.

He IS drinking water on his own, which is better than yesterday.

Buprenorphine is a morphine-like drug that easily lasts 24 hrs. They get spacy, lethargic, and just sit and stare. We have to administer this once in a while for our old dog who has arthritis. The first time he was totally wiped out and could hardly stand up. I was so worried. Now he gets 1/4 of the dosage and he’s still loopy.

we are at the vet and he has mild gut stasis. We are getting some gut meds. Luckily he is eating more today and drinking on his own. He is eating at the vet right now. But his gut is not moving 100%. I hope he improves so I don’t have to cancel my long awaited vacation this weekend.

Wally has been eating a bit every hour or so on his own since we got home. I've been watching him on my camera while I'm at work. He's to get metoclopromide today and tomorrow, along w/ one day of simethicone. We were given a sample of Science Selective's version of Critical Care - he doens't like it. He doesn't seem to like Apple Banana Critical Care either. He nibbled at the Sherwood Recovery food we have left over (it is in individual packets). Unfortunately they didn't have Emeraid. He is mildly active and will come when he hears the treat bag.

Try mixing the Critical Care or Science Selective with a little juice from watermelon, or some carrot or lettuce juiced in a smoothie blender. Sometimes if it’s mixed with something they like they will eat it.

At least he’s eating some on his own and he’s interested in treats. That will help him recover.

I have been watching him on a camera while I am at work and he is eating much more often and still drinking water. He is tough to syringe feed. I hope I have not made him associate syringes with something bad. That will make our daily metacam treat for his arthritis that much more difficult. This whole thing has been a nightmare for me and I have been really anxious about it.

It is so difficult when they are ill. I struggled with little Gidget when she had ear infections and URIs. It was exhausting and my stress level was through the roof.

Some of the medications are flavored so they like them. I never had a problem with Metacam, I think it’s kind of sweet.

I’m glad to hear he’s eating more on his own.

Everything seems back to normal. Wally is eating on his own regularly and his poops look good. He will not take the metacam on his own. None of my other pigs have ever refused it. Maybe after this bottle if he still refuses it, I may get compounded with a flavor or something. Would be expensive but I can't have him living him life hating his meds.

One of the vets I went to put butterscotch flavor in liquid antibiotics. I remember Lacey just loved it. Maybe your vet has some advice on this.

One of the vets I went to put butterscotch flavor in liquid antibiotics. I remember Lacey just loved it. Maybe your vet has some advice on this.

We definitely will. He will sniff the syringe and run away. All my other boys who had to take it (Amigo, Little Bear, possibly Gimbly) loved it and would fight me for the syringe.

Here are some pics of him doing his usual feet-out in his fav corner.

[GuineaPigCages.com] Fostering tips :)

[GuineaPigCages.com] Fostering tips :)

He’s so cute relaxing like that.

Amazingly, Walter is not AS prone to biting now that he's been on meloxicam. He will still bite in some circumstances, but he is not going straight for the kill and biting hard. I am struggling to give him meloxicam so I am tempted to get it compounded with a new flavor. I just don't know how soon I will run out of what I have. He will run when I show him the syringe (I hold it in front of him to take like a treat) while he is in the cage, but when I pick him up and show him the syringe, he will take it from me.

He may have been stressed from pain and then is more apt to bite. If he has pain, he may also chew the cage bars and chew cardboard or paper bedding more than usual.

Can you measure out the meloxicam and then ad a little fruit juice so his first taste is something good? I’ve used watermelon juice that way.