Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fleece Looking for no sew fleece liner option

BeckJean

Cavy Slave
Hi everybody, I'm a new guinea pig parent and new to posting on this forum. I have been using bedding for the last month I've had my 2 boars but it's causing a lot more trash than I would like so im thinking about switching to fleece and see if that works better for me. The pre-made liners such as guineadad and kavee, and others are pretty expensive for me to use as a test ride especially since my cage is 30"×60" and nobody seems to make them in that size so I'd have to buy a lot to cover the cage properly. So I was thinking about diy liners but I don't know how to sew or have a sewing machine. I was wondering if possibly just putting a uhaul pad down in the cage and then getting oversized fleece to lay on top and then either tuck underneath the pad or tuck over the edges of the coroplast might work. Has anybody tried this and if so did it work out?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I used fleece for years and never had a liner. I used wood pellets underneath, laid the fleece down on top, and put weights (bricks, stones, etc.) along the edges to keep them from digging.

Unlined fleece is much easier to wash and dry than the padded liners. Fleece will shrink a little over time, which can cause pre-made liners not to fit well.

4boipigs

Valued Contributor
Cavy Slave
I have a coworker who makes her own fleece. She doesn't sew a liner in unless it's something small like a potty pad. She sets down the liner and then the fleece on top. Seems to work just fine w/ her 3 girls.

BeckJean

Cavy Slave
I used fleece for years and never had a liner. I used wood pellets underneath, laid the fleece down on top, and put weights (bricks, stones, etc.) along the edges to keep them from digging.

Unlined fleece is much easier to wash and dry than the padded liners. Fleece will shrink a little over time, which can cause pre-made liners not to fit well.

Thanks for the feedback I didn't even think about using weights to keep it in place

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Some pigs are diggers and others aren't. Weights may not keep a determined pig from digging, but there are other ways of holding the fleece down. If you wind up with a digger, post back here and we'll give you some other options.

BeckJean

Cavy Slave
Thanks now that I know others had some luck im going to try it out

BeckJean

Cavy Slave
UPDATE:
So I ended up buying incontinence pads and fleece. My dad washed the fleece for me and it started wicking after the first wash and it worked great in the cage with the pads. I went and bought more fleece and washed both the new and old fleece and now none of the fleece is wicking and I've washed multiple times with no softener. I've tried regular clothes detergent, dish detergent, and vinegar with no luck. I've also tried both hot and cold water. I ended up giving up and changed back to bedding but was wondering if anybody had any idea why the fleece wouldn't wick for me.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

ItsaZoo

Cavy Slave
There are different types of fleece, and some have a texture that doesn't wick as well. I use the plush anti-pill fleece from Joann Fabric. It's a little thicker and softer than the blizzard fleece, it washes better, and it's easier to shake the hay off. The blizzard fleece pills and loses its color.

They have some high-end plush, but that doesn't wick as well. Since it's about 55-60 inches wide, one yard will cover a 2x3 grid cage. Then I have washable incontinence pads underneath. I also make wee pads for the corners, which are just fleece, a light-weight kitchen towel, and some woven fabric sewn together about the size of the placemat.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.