Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Looking for help. I'm new! Just adopted two female piggies and they are terrified!

PrincessJenn

Cavy Gazer
20151010_151918.jpg

Okay so just some background info. I am new to guinea pigs! I have been researching and reading as much as I can but still need some direction. I adopted two females a little over a week ago from a family who had them living in a multi level ferret cage which I now know was not a good situation for them. So I have switched them to a cage I made myself with much more room for them to roam. Its not perfect but they seem much more active now. I will upgrade when I can. Also the family told me they didn't give them anything fresh, just pellets and hay. So the only way I can get these girls to come remotely close to me is to hold carrots or lettuce and they love it! If I stay completely still and quiet. Even then they run and hide. I understand that is normal behavior for them but it's pretty extreme. I had to wrestle just to move them to the new cage. It feels very stressful for both of us and I want to know what I can do to make them happy and healthy and more comfortable with me and my family. For this reason I haven't taken them out for playtime or anything because I'm thinking they just need time to adjust. Aarrrggg I'm feeling a little lost, anything helps! Thanks for reading :20151010_151830.jpg)

Pariscamp

Cavy Gazer
Hi there and bravo for giving them a better life
do the carrot routine and certainly talk to them, it will take a while but they will ease into you
taking them one by one into your hands and watch a movie while carresing can establish a routine that most certainly pay off with time, but not right away
stick to the name for each and talk to each
i have a "paranoid" boy Spiky that finally - 6-7 months later knows that I bring only good things and they are not i
only yummies, he comes to me and takes the food but will not let me carresing him unless I corner him. And It is still a corrida experience with him to get him come back from floor time, he hates to be handled:(((

good
luck

PrincessJenn

Cavy Gazer
I did read some just don't like to be handled! But the family told me they were friendly and cuddly...so not sure if it's just me or if they weren't being honest. Either way I am determined to make them like me...even a little! Haha! I will keep doing the food trick :) My kids actually named them Raven and Starfire from one of their cartoon shows. They are identical almost everywhere but their little butts! One is blonde (Star) and one is black (Raven) so it fits them.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
You do need to take those hanging things out. Guinea pigs have very fragile backs, and can hurt themselves badly by falling from just that height.

PrincessJenn

Cavy Gazer
Oooh ok! One loves the blue tunnel. Maybe I can just put it on the floor?

PrincessJenn

Cavy Gazer
Ok I just put them on the ground. Thanks for the tip!

just8be8free

Cavy Slave
omg! the names are from Teen Titans!!! Raven and Starfire are adorable and I'm so glad you can give them a better life. just give them time and they will warm up to you.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.