Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Looking For Cage Designs?

Sugar

Cavy Slave
Hello,

At the moment I am keeping Sugar in an old bird cage, which to be totally honest, isn't huge. However, she only eats and drinks in there, and stays inside when we go out without her (I love taking her places in her little piggy handbag carrier thingy) and that isn't very often. The rest of the time I am either playing with her, or she's resting in her little comfy handbag or of course napping in my hood, lol. But she will need a hutch for when she's outside, when the weather is a bit warmer, and you never know what Australia weather's going to be like, so its time to design a cage.

I only have one Guiena Pig - Sugar, so it doesn't have to have a few stories, just one, or maybe two. I want it to be really nice though, but not to complicated. Just right for a little baby Guiena Pig (Two weeks old) and for when she gets older as well.

I drove all around town today looking for snap-together-cube type things (as listed in the cavy cage you can make on here) and I couldn't find any, so that type of cage is out of the question. But I can get chicken or metal mesh/wire stuff.

Please help me, I need a design asap!

Love,

Sugar & Claire xox

Aertyn

Cavy Gazer
Did you try Bunnings? They are in the storage section, but if you live in QLD not all stores sell them.

If you ask, they might be willing to get them in for you. I think the Australian Cavy Sanctuary has them for purchase, but shipping costs would be a nightmare (depending on where you live). For awhile I was looking at shipping some grids up to QLD for someone, and it was going to cost about $20-30 to ship a 7kg box.

Sugar

Cavy Slave
Hello,

I live in South Australia. We don't have Bunings where I live, just hardware stores which had nothing at all. I've decided that Metal Mesh (which clips together like cubes) is the best way to go, but I still need cage designs.

Love,

Sugar & Claire xox

JarBax

Cavy Slave
Have you looked in the galleries? There is a whole secttion on alternative cages! Definitely the best place to look for inspiration!

https://www.guineapigcages.com/photos/showgallery.php/cat/512

Also, if your piggy is still a baby, you must ensure that the gaps in whatever material you make it from are not to wide for Sugar to get her head stuck in:

https://www.guineapigcages.com/photos/showgallery.php/cat/532

What kind of mesh are you thinking of? There were a few posts on here a while ago suggesting that chicken wire type material was unsuitable/dangerous (but I can't for the life of me remember why!)

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Just right for a little baby Guiena Pig (Two weeks old)
Your pig is only two weeks old? If so, she is really too young to be without her mama and definately too young to be by herself without an older pig to teach her the ropes.

Sugar

Cavy Slave
Hello,

Don't you hate petstores? Yes she is only two weeks old, and she's already been pulled off her Mum :( The Petstore did that, she was born at the Petstore, and the petstore did that to her. She was also in with Rabits, and I learnt recently that Guiena Pigs and Rabits sould never be mixed.

I can't get her an older Guiena Pig because there aren't any Guiena Pigs in stores (not that I'd get her from there anyway) and the Animal Shelter doesn't have any at the moment. But she'll probaly get a friend down the track I hope. Don't worry, this cage is for the summer. She'll be living inside until then, and when the cage is built, I'll just let her out for a while to eat grass with me next to her. Its only winter here in Australia, so summer is a long way off and she'll be older.

I've designed my cage, and its Metal Cube Square, type things we're buying. They just snap together and Guiena Pigs can't get their heads stuck in them. I can always use a different bottom for the cage, what would you suggest?

socal805

Cavy Slave
Can you get the coroplast or something similar? If not I would buy a plastic tarp and then put a towel or newspapers with fleece on top of that. I use fleece in my cage and I love it because it looks so much better than the traditional bedding. If you get the cage looking the way you want to you might want to consider keeping her inside and only putting her outside for daily excercise and play time.

Sugar

Cavy Slave
Hello,

How I was silly! I thought I was going to keep Sugar outside in the summer all the time, I am very dumb. No, no, thats not what is happening now. Total change of Cage Ideas.

I'm going to build her a large, two or maybe even three story indoor cage. I discovered the perfect place to put it, and it goes great. I'm also building her an outdoor Grazing Pen/Hutch which ideas would be appriciated on how to make it, but I'm also going to have a look on Guiena Pig Lynx.

I am still looking for materials to use for the walls, and everyone's suggestions are helpful and I have written them down to look for around town. I noticed Sugar was totally itching for more room to run and play in today, and even though I don't know if she cares one way or an other about a friend right now, I think she'll need one. So in about Six Months it'll be time to go and adopt, once she's a little older.

Anyway, I will keep you updated on how the cage is going, and when its all built, I shall take a photo. Also, should I include hidey holes made out of wood?

JarBax

Cavy Slave
So in about Six Months it'll be time to go and adopt, once she's a little older.

Anyway, I will keep you updated on how the cage is going, and when its all built, I shall take a photo. Also, should I include hidey holes made out of ?

It would actually be best to adopt Sugar a friend sooner, rather than later. In six months time, she may well be into, or at least approaching puberty - then things may be even trickier. She is likely to be more accepting of another piggy at her young and playful age.

You can make hidey houses from cardboard boxes. With more than one pig, it is best to make more than one escape route. Hanging a fleece blanket in the cage also makes a great hidey. You can buy all manner of houses - but really, boxes are the best!

Look forward to seeing pics of your cage!

HowietheGreat

Cavy Slave
I thought she looked very young from your pictures. You need to make sure she can't squeeze though any tiny spaces. I would get her an older buddy as soon as possible, there is so much that another pig could teach her. My vet told me that Maisey was about 3 weeks old when I got her. She pretty learned to eat veggies by watching me. She would watch me eat it, then she would nibble on her piece. We did this for a bit when it came to new veggies. When I adopted Belle, she learned very quickly from her and was a happier pig.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.