Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

C&C Leave the Lid or take it apart?

jessdb

Cavy Slave
So I currently have a 2x6 C&C cage with a double stand and a folding lid. I've been wandering to myself lately if it really needs a lid. The only reason really i have the lid is because I upgraded my cage from a 2x3.5 with a lid and single stand (i had the lid at that time because we had a cat that liked to go into the basement) and instead of just ordering seperate parts i ordered a whole new cage and some spare grids so i could have some extra grids to party with and make a nice stand. However, that cat died of old age (21 years!) And the other cat doesn't like the basement. So I now have no real reason to have a lid right? They shouldn't be able to jump or get out? I'm not sure if that depends on the pig or not. But here is my cage 20160505_180210.jpg
Give me your opinions! Should I keep the lid or ditch it and make some more storage for the pigs?
P.S. there are only two pigs in case that's a question

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
It's a rare pig that will climb the grids, and even then, it's usually a male trying to get to a female. I don't have a lid on my cage.

jessdb

Cavy Slave
I don't have boars I have sows

jessdb

Cavy Slave
IMHO a 2x6 cage isn't large enough for two adult boars. Why not take the extra grids and expand the cage? You can never have too much space for healthy boys.

I have sows not boars, this is above their reccommended and preferred cage size for two adult sows

LifeAsItMayBe

Cavy Slave
Both my cages are lidless. My pigs seem to get disoriented when they are away from their cage, so they don't bother trying to get out even when they're pestering each other.

Comely Guineas

Cavy Slave
IMHO a 2x6 cage isn't large enough for two adult boars. Why not take the extra grids and expand the cage? You can never have too much space for healthy boys.

A 2x6 cage is definitely large enough for two adult boars. It is the recommended minimum on this site. In general, it is large enough. Sure more is better of course. Sure some pairs may need more space. But some pairs can also get along very well, and a 2x6 is perfect. I have two adult boars in a 2x6 cage and it does not need to be expanded, they get along great.

I personally would remove the lid, I just find it might be more convenient without one especially since you don't need it. I don't have one on my cage. Your cage looks great by the way.

jessdb

Cavy Slave
Just to follow up I did remove the top, added and extra cube shelf and opted for more shelving beneath my cage and above the temporary/sick cage that is currently on the bottom, here is a pictures 20160506_174306.jpg
Thank you guys for your help! Now on to tackle some fleece (and by that I mean wash it a million more times and hope it starts to work soon lol thank you again for your replies and nice coments on my cage!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.