Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Ivermectin Just want to make sure

ShaunaMuse

Cavy Slave
So I went and got some Ivermectin as you can see from the pictures below an I have read and re-read the treatment instructions off the Guinea Lynx page and still find myself cautious. I understand that I need to put a dosing for a horse weighing 250 pounds into a jar, then fill that jar with 22.0 cc's of water so when I extract it I will have 1 cc of treatment. My question is, how much for my pigs? I have their weights listed below. I have gone over and over the chart for how to determine it but I must be honest, I am epic fail at anything remotely math.

1:12.3 = 823grams (.16 CC) ?

1:06.6 = 637grams (.12 CC) ?

2:01.2 = 942grams (.19 CC) ?

2:02.9 = 1041grams (.21 CC) ?

These weights are within the last 5 minutes and are consistant with what my pigs normally way, the second weight is an increase of about 3 ounces since last week because he is a growing piggy under 6 months old.

So does this look about right?

Last edited:
I took another picture of the syringe because I figured it was hard to see the lines in the first picture of it. If I have it thought out right if I need like .22 CC's of mixture then I just need to go to the second line on the syringe? But does it read from the top of the black plastic nipple or the line of the black plastic nipple?

Last edited:
The line of the black plastic nipple.

All your calculations look right and sound right to me. I've never done what you have done but having guinea pigs means making and dosing your own medicines. Same with having kids. With all the recommendations for and against certain meds its hard to figure out whats right. Good luck to you!

There's a problem dear. You have a 3ml syringe. You need a 1ml syringe or you may end up overdosing.

Where the black part of the plunger is (and it will be the same on a 1ml syringe), the top line is what you want to get to .22 not the bottom.

Last edited:
Thanks guys for helping me out. I have to go back to the supply store tomorrow because I exploded the paste all over the place. :)- So I will pick up a 1ml syringe and then try this again.

So they don't have a 1cc syringe at the supply store. I am looking around for a 1cc syringe and then once it all goes well I will trying to feed the boys their mixture tonight and then again in 7 days!

So they don't have a 1cc syringe at the supply store. I am looking around for a 1cc syringe and then once it all goes well I will trying to feed the boys their mixture tonight and then again in 7 days!

Try a pharmacy. They often carry them for infants.

Good call on the pharmacy. I didn't even think of it. i will check Wal-Greens.

Okay thank you so much for the suggestion about checking the pharmacy, I found a 1cc syringe! Weeee, so now I have the 1 cc syringe that I need and the ivermectin. Before I go and do this, the above pictured med is the correct one yes?

Yes, the ivermectin you have is fine.

When you draw the mixture into the syringe, if you are trying to get 0.22ml you will go to the 0.2 line and then come down one small line past that.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.