Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Wood Pellets/Chips Just switched to fleece over wood pellets!

PiggiePhanatic

Cavy Gazer
Hello everyone! I just wanted to share that I have switched over from Carefresh to using fleece over wood pellets. So far so good. The girls seem to really like their new setup. I've had them a week and today was the first time they were popcorning so I think they were happy! (Either that or maybe they are just big NFL fans...)
IMG_20160331_211132.jpgIMG_20160331_211143.jpg
You can see Beatrice using my diy chloroplast litter box. The one we had in there was way too big so it took up too much space. I'm using the Midwest Habitat cage for now, but hope to make a C and C cage in the near future. I also made a nifty fleece curtain (no sew) as a hidey for them. They were going crazy about it! I've used a pigloo and a footstool for them before, but this was by far their favorite yet. The fleece I used is just an old throw we had so it has been washed hundreds of times and wicks perfectly. Underneath that, I used a 40 lb. bag of Tractor Supply Equine wood pellets. I didn't have to use the whole bag, but I used about 3/4 of the bag and just threw the rest in. In order to pull the fleece tight over the pellets, I stretched it and cut slits at the corners in order to tie it to the cage. I figured this would be an easy way to install it and also not too hard to undo when I have to change it out in a few days. I used a few binder clips in certain spots to secure it to the cage because I don't know yet if the ladies would try to burrow under it. I already did a spot clean by using a dustpan and broom to sweep up some poops, and it worked perfectly. I'm hoping that when I go to change the fleece, the sawdust from the pellets isn't too messy and stuck to the fleece. I've heard some people have issues with that so I'll let you know how it goes. I just wanted to share my experience setting this up since it might be helpful for others who want to use this bedding method in the Midwest Habitat. lol

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.