Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Just became a father...

Gawman

Cavy Slave
...of two 6 week old guinea pigs. Haven't owned them since I was ten years old, but never really lost my love for them. However, I didn't find this website until after I had bought them along with a store bought cage, so I am kicking myself now. It cost me 70 quid, but is barely 2ft by 3ft. With two boars in, I can imagine they will start fighting when they get a bit older, so I will make it my aim to build a C & C cage within the next month. Materials seem hard to come by the in UK though...

Well anyway, without further ado, let me introduce the newest additions to my family, Woodrow and Wilson!

Just became a father...

Toadies

Cavy Slave
Welcome! Don't feel bad. I'm sure that there are alot of us that started with pet store cages before we became "enlightened". I actually had just upgraded my boys to a larger pet store cage ($175- on sale!) when I found this site. Now I have 2 wonderful little garden boxes to grow my own dandylions and such. Some owners use the pet store cages for nighty-night and others use them for kitchens, quarentine, supplies, etc. There are alternative materials and this site has loads of ideas.

Your boys are gorgeous, by the way.

pig-in-paradise

Cavy Slave
Hehe, cute names for these 2 cute boys!

Welcome aboard!

Gawman

Cavy Slave
Glad you like the names! And yeh, I am sure the store bought cage will come in handy somewhere. Can't wait to get them a bigger one though so they can run around properly.

Jess Z

Cavy Slave
He....he I did the same thing! Now my pigs are in 2x3's and my dwarf hamster gets the zoo zone 1 now!:crazy:

piggly wiggly

Cavy Slave
Welcome, you have some handsome boys there. The store bought cages are good as travel cages, or if you have to take to someone else's house incase of an emergency. They are good to have on hand for temporary use. You will notice a big difference in your boy's attitude when they get a bigger cage, they are so much more playful.

JanJam

Cavy Slave
Hi Gawman ... about materials for C&C cages ... check out the UK supplies part of this forum.

I got my stuff on Ebay, but I need more cubes and I am told B&Q do them. Correx I got via Ebay because of the difficulty in transporting it.

Once you have the stuff it's really easy to put together, just make sure you measure everything twice :)

newpiggiemommy

Cavy Slave
Welcome! You have come to the right place for information and friendly people!

I love your boys! They are so cute! The darker colored one looks like my Nibbler!

I bought my piggies at a petstore also! But I was curious, did you check the sex of the piggies yourself? The petstores OFTEN missex them and you end up with a boy, a girl, and soon a bunch more! So, I was just wondering if you checked for your self to make sure!

Good luck! Enjoy your new boys! And don't forget to spoil them!

Gawman

Cavy Slave
Thanks everyone for the welcome :) I did indeed check the sex myself, they are most definitely boys. Gorgeous ones at that. I can't wait to get them into a bigger cage and spoil them with new toys and stuff. They share a house at the moment which they don't seem to mind, but I really want them in a bigger cage before they come to major blows like my last guinea pigs did.

Thanks for the pointer JanJam, a B&Q near where I live apparently has those cages in stock, so I will definitely be headed there at some point. Meanwhile, the boys are enjoying my experimenting which veggies they like. Wilson (the brown one) adores carrot whereas Woodrow doesn't seem to like it, but it's the other way round with cucumber. I'm glad everyone here likes piggies, I bore people at work to tears with facts like these! lol

luvmyboyz

Cavy Slave
I work at a customer service desk at a grocery store. I talk about my guys so much that even the customers come in and say " How are the piggies today? Did they do anything cute? " Anyway welcome, you and your guys will love it here.

Gawman

Cavy Slave
Well, I went to a B & Q that was over an hour and a half drive away today just so I could pick up some cubes. The cage itself is now assembled which has made me very excited - it's just so HUGE! 5 x 2 grids. Way more than double what they have now. The search for correx is now on, I have emailed a local sign maker to see if they would be willing to sell me a sheet. Then it's just a matter of buying fleece, towels, toys etc.

I can't wait to get the boys in it!

fourboys4now

Cavy Slave
If you happen to have a WalMart close to you they may have fleece remnants on sale. I have been finding a yard of fleece for around $2-$3. They also have the cheaper large towels for 2/$3. Walgreens also keeps fleece baby blankets in stock, I bought a 3 pack for $3.

auburnmare5

Cavy Slave
Congratulations! :cheerful: The piggers are A.D.O.R.A.B.L.E! I love the names. I once read a book with one of the names in it, so I thought it sounded farmiliar!

Please, don't feel bad about the cage, we all make mistakes. If we didn't all pigs would live in C+C Cages. (I wish!) My pig is still in a petstore cage at night and is in his 2x4 pen for a majority of the day. Try that and see if it works. My parents would not let me do the Coro and all of that, so I thought it would be the next best thing, and I think I like it more than I would the full C+C. The first C thing is great.

***You know what really made me feel good about the C+C Cage? I put his too small petstore cage, and figured otu how many times it would fit! I showed my parents and they were pretty amazed. Try it! It made me feel so proud of myself knowing Coco was much happier.***

Last edited:

Sammy and Peanut

Cavy Slave
When you get a bigger cage, have you thought of building a ramp to the petstore cage? My dad built me a 2 story cage, and now it is 3 floors since we added on the petstore cage!

OSUCavies

Cavy Slave
Congrats on your handsome boys and extra congrats on the new CC cage.

I'm sure they LOVE it!

Would love to see pigtures!

Gawman

Cavy Slave
Just became a father...

Here's the new cage. Woodrow and Wilson went nuts when I put them in there, popcorning and running about like crazy. If you look closely you can just about see Woodrow asleep in the wooden arch in the top corner. Woodrow seems to enjoy rumblestrutting a lot more than Wilson which is amusing to watch. Anyway, it is now even more of a joy to see these two boys, and even more hard work trying to pick them up!

auburnmare5

Cavy Slave
Have you tried to see how many of you rold cage fit in the new one?
TRY IT!You will be amazed! It will make you feel so good!

***I love the cage!

luvsgiraffes

Cavy Slave
Hi! Woodrow and Wilson are so cute! And the cage you've built them looks amazing! Good job!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.