Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior is this normal

mdodge

Cavy Slave
Just checking to see if this is a normal behavior in a senior piggy.
My little jabbers just turned 6 .I've noticed lately he takes longer to eat all his breakfast in morning.also he doesn't go after as much hay as he used to.
What normaly he woukd eat in about an hour and a half he stretches out almost 3 to 4 hrs. With napping in between.
Pluss he's been eating about half the amount of hay he used to.
He shows no signs of any pain .still walked around normally but lately hasn't been running around as much as he used to.
He's still very intrested in his food .
He used to never sleep inside anything always on top of his blankets but recently he's been tunneling under to sleep and he's in very deep sleep also takes a bit to wake him.
Just seeing if this is normal for a senior.
Thanks for any advice.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Could be, but the deep sleep may mean that he's showing some signs of heart disease. I'd want an exotic vet to see him for a chest x-ray and maybe a trial of heart meds.

See https://www.guinealynx.info/heart.html.

mdodge

Cavy Slave
Thank you.
I read the link about heart disease right now he's showing so signs of any respitory difficulty or sounds.which is a strong indicator.
His deep sleep he's in I can spot clean all around him and he doesn't wake but once I wake him he runs so he's not lethargic apon waking as indicated by the article.
I will make a wellness visit for him Just to be sure though.
Is it common for seniors to also start looking some of their vision?
When I woke him last night after cleaning to give him his night time snack when he was running around he seemed a little unsure and once ran into his hay rack.
This morning he seemed a little cautious running around.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I've had pigs over six years old with no loss of vision, but I know that some younger than that have had cataracts.

If he were mine, I'd take him in for a check up.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
One of the symptoms Sly first exhibited, was taking much longer to eat. He's been dealing with malocclusion since December of last year.

Ditto @bpatters, if he were mine I would take him in and have him thoroughly checked over.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.