Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior Is this Normal

GiuneaPigLover

Cavy Slave
I just got an adult guinea pig, and I have had him for 1 day. He runs away and doesn't like to be touched. The original owner claims that she handled him but i'm not really sure. How long do I have to wait till he gets used to me handling him.

BaconAndEggs

Cavy Slave
She may have handled him, but guinea pigs are prey animals, and have a natural instict to flee when a predator-or, in this case, you-tries to touch them. It is possible that your guinea pig has mites, so I would do some research on that.

If he does not have mites, stay near his cage and speak quietly to him. Give him another day or two to settle in before attempting to handle him. These things take time. Try offering him veggies out of your hand, so that he will learn to associate you with food. Don't try to touch him without letting him sniff your hand first, and take it slowly. Eventually he will learn to trust you.

GiuneaPigLover

Cavy Slave
Thank you for the advise @BaconAndEggs. I will look into mites. The person I got him from works at an animal hospital. She said they were vetted.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Vetted doesn't mean anything except that a vet has looked at them. Mites can't be seen, and skin scrapings to test for them are wrong half the time.

GiuneaPigLover

Cavy Slave
Okay @bpatters thank you

Gforcepiggies

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
my newest guinea pig has been with me for four months and he still does not quite like the idea of being touched or picked up. He only allows me to pet him in the cage on occasion or when he is indulging himself in some veggies. He only allows me to pick him up when his brothers are out of the cage and that is his only choice if he wants to be with them!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.