Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cage Is the hay feeder I bought safe for my pigs?

jenapher

Cavy Slave
I recently bought a (surprisingly expensive) hanging hay feeder from the pet store and my pigs absolutely ADORE it, and prefer it to their open hay boxes now. They've been really enjoying it, but is it safe? here's the image (apologies for the messy cage):
(broken link removed)
The slots definitely aren't big enough for them to get stuck in, and I think I'll cut off some of the loose string although it holds up the plug at the bottom. Is this a safe feeder? And if not, are there ways to make it safer? They love it so I'd like to keep using it if possible.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
It's safe, it just won't give them enough hay. The ends of the hay need to stick out through the sides of the feeder so they can reach it. The only hay they can reach there is at the top, and it will soon be too low in the feeder for them to get to it.

The easiest way to feed them hay is just to plop a pile of it on the floor of the cage.

jenapher

Cavy Slave
It's not their only source of hay, we fill cardboard boxes with litter and hay so they can jump in and keep the mess somewhat contained. However, some of them actively seem to prefer the feeder, even with both options in. They haven't had much of a problem with getting hay out from what I've seen. Thank you for the reply :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.