Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Is furry fleece from Joann fabrics safe?

fashion victim

Cavy Slave
I was wondering if this type of fleece is safe to use? Is it more biteable? I don't want the piggies biting it and eating it and dying from intestinal blockage! I would like it because it looks SO soft and comfortable but I'll settle for normal fleece if this one isn't safe.

(broken link removed)https://javascript<b></b>:zoomImg('.../01/8/80181.jpg.fpx?qlt=70&wid=144&cvt=jpeg')

Fall in love with this furry new fleece! It is extremely soft to the touch. Vivid colors are perfect for jackets, pullovers, throws, pillows and more. You'll be the fashion trendsetter when you show off your "Sassy" fleece creation!

this_lil_piggy

Cavy Slave
I would personally probably avoid anything "shag like" because my pigs tend to chew on new things to check them out the first few days they are in the cage. I wouldn't want to risk a blockage.
That being said, there is a post on the top of this forum that has all different types of fleece and how the poster rated them. It will probably help you more than I, and I do know she has some shag-like fleece pictured and mentioned.
https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/bedding-hay/20746-fleece-types-debates.html

fashion victim

Cavy Slave
Yeah, I'd checked it already but I couldn't understand; it seemed like he/she was giving contradictiry opinions :

Plush fleece - small items it's proved good as well as for using with foam. The inital material is loose and a chewing temptation much like the shag, but not as long and does not loop. The fibers will mat down and pill like. Good for use anywhere hay is not, hair washes out ok only if on high agitation and machine dried. Another good material for making a "petting mit".

The person is saying that it's like the shag, which is biteable, but then it says it's not as long and does not loop, so does that makes it less of a hazard? And then it says good for use anywhere hay is not - does that mean inside the cage as long as it's not a hay area?

this_lil_piggy

Cavy Slave
She is basically giving a comparison and a little bit of pro and con information.
What I take from her comments:

Because it is a shag type fleece it would still be a chewing temptation for a determined pig, but it may not be as easily gripped to pull out since the strands are a little shorter. The strands will wind up flattening down and pilling, so the risk of them trying to chew it will probably lessen with use, but then again this kinda defeats the purpose of a nice soft shaggy fleece, since it wears down.
Her overall rating seems to be that it "could" be used anywhere except hay areas, but that it is best used just on small items like small beds, and as petting mits.

My take on it....Based on the fact that it flattens out and kinda mats, I would think that over time it would become ratty looking and harder and harder to get things like hair, hay, shavings, and such out of it. My son has a stuffed rabbit that he sleeps with and it is made from some sort of really soft shaggy fleece type stuff. Over time of it being slept with, handled, and washed it has matted down and become pretty ugly...and it is a nightmare how much stuff clings to it. I think in the long run it would probably wind up a poor investment for an entire cage floor, needing replaced much sooner than plain regular fleece. I think I would stick to the fleece baby blankets or throws for the overall cage, and maybe make some pig beds with the shaggy stuff. ;)

fashion victim

Cavy Slave
I decided to stick on the plain fleece based on your opinion. I just arrived from Walgreen's where I bought one of those 60 in x 90 in bright orange fleece blanket and another 3 pack of the 30in x 30in baby fleece blankets. I'm going to use the orange and sew on squares of other colors and print fleece, and I'll do the same with a fuschia like fleece throw with the same measure that I got from there too. I'm stocking up on small stuffed animals; I have to rip out their crystal eyes out and sew on new eyes made out of thread only, though, because my pup ate one of those eyes out once and I don't want it to happen any more specially not with piggies who are much smaller than her.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.