Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Herbs Is Chocolate mint safe for guinea pigs?

PopcorningPig

Cavy Slave
Hi everyone! I have a quick question, is it okay for guinea pigs to eat chocolate mint? It's a certain veriety of mint, that has a chocolate after taste to it. It's not actually chocolate.I have a whole plant of it growing out side, and I wanted to know if my GP could have it. Thanks for all your answers!

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
Its a mint plant, I can't see it being bad.

pinky

Cavy Slave
I don't think there's much nutritional value to mint so I'd probably just offer other foods that they'd benefit from. Mint is pretty strong so they might not even want to eat it.

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
My pigs LOVE mint of all kinds, which is fortunate for me since the 6 acres I live on seems to be nearly overrun with it. I've fed mine the stuff you're talking about and they think it's pretty fantastic. I don't personally limit the diet of my pigs strictly to things that have high nutritional value, because, like everyone else, they enjoy a treat now and then and in this case there's no harm in feeding it.

Like most herbs, though, mint is a bit high in calcium, if that's a concern for you, so keep it in mind. :)

PopcorningPig

Cavy Slave
My pigs LOVE mint of all kinds, which is fortunate for me since the 6 acres I live on seems to be nearly overrun with it. I've fed mine the stuff you're talking about and they think it's pretty fantastic. I don't personally limit the diet of my pigs strictly to things that have high nutritional value, because, like everyone else, they enjoy a treat now and then and in this case there's no harm in feeding it.

Like most herbs, though, mint is a bit high in calcium, if that's a concern for you, so keep it in mind. :)

thanks so much! I'll give it a try, maybe I'll have a new favourite for my pig! Thanks again!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.