Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Introduction and Question About Pregnancy

enniroc18

Cavy Slave
Hello! I just wanted to introduce myself as a new member. My family has taken in two female piggies, whom we named Peppa and George (my daughter picked the names!). We decided to take in two girls so we wouldn't have to worry about pregnancies, and this was a mother/daughter combination. George will be one year old in May and Peppa is about 4 months old. They are still a little skittish when we go to pick them up, but they are much more relaxed than when we first got them! I have read that it takes a few months for them to be fully comfortable with their new family.

I guess I have a few questions about pregnancy. We suspect George is pregnant as she has continually gotten bigger but only in the stomach area. Also, I have felt movements while holding her. I called the person we adopted her from and said she could have gotten pregnant by her son, but she could not tell me when they had last interacted. Come to find out one of George's daughters is also pregnant right now.

George has already had two litters, so I am worried because this would be her third! Has anyone had a healthy mom after a third litter? I don't want anything to happen to her!!! Also, her first litter had 3 babies and her second litter had 5. Do they typically continue to have big litters? My last question is I have read two opposite articles on whether or not to leave Peppa in the cage while George is in labor. Should I separate them?

We are going to build another cage for the piggies, so we can separate the boys at 21 days old. We will take them to a vet to get them sexed.

Thank you for any advice. We are enjoying our girls! :)

maddy harper

Cavy Slave
Hi and welcome
Hope you like it here and decide to stay...

enniroc18

Cavy Slave
Thank you for the link! Our cage is about 9 sq ft or just a little over. Like I mentioned we planned on making a second cage to house the boys once they were big enough. If Peppa is nibbling ears maybe she can hang in that cage, while we wait for the boys to get bigger. I definitely would put the cage side by side so they can visit each other.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Nine square feet is about right for a single pig, but small for two, and definitely too small for two boars.

enniroc18

Cavy Slave
Oh is it? Oops! I thought I was doing good with that cage. I will add more grids to make it bigger. Thanks!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.