Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Introducing!!!

aeonkat

Cavy Slave
Eleanor Rigby and Penny Lane!!! E.R is 1 1/2 and P.L is 9mos. P.L was a rescue from someone who had her outdoors, E.L was adopted with her. She is very scared and when I take her out she will literally be frozen in that position. Even if I offer veggies/fruit she doesn't budge. If E.R is out with her she is active as long as I don't move. E.R steals her veggies (she only eats when no one is near the cage) so I have to separate them when they eat. So far they haven't gone up the ramp to the loft but if I put them up there they come down. I love them! I am worried about P.L. I cuddle and talk to her every night hoping she'll come around. She has made some progress. Any tips appreciated! :D

luvin_my_piggy

Cavy Slave
Welcome. You will get all kinds of wonderful advice and help here. It is the best on the internet. With my two new ones, I sat beside their cage quietly for awhile. I also came to find that if you hand feed them their veggies sometimes it helps. That is if she takes it from your hand. Some pigs are just more shy than others. My older one freezes like that if she hears a loud sound or sees a sudden movement. It just takes awhile sometimes for them to adjust. After all they are an animal pretty low in the food chain. Give it time and be patient. Some will act that way forever. I think you are doing wonderful with her.

aeonkat

Cavy Slave
What do I do about them fighting? The older/bigger one is more dominant and tends to steal the little one's food. Other than separating them, is there anything to do?

Piggersrule

Cavy Slave
Keep 2 of everything like food dishes, water bottles and hidey houses and keep everything spaced out. One piggy can't guard everything at once. As far as the fighting goes it's normal, they are sorting out who is going to be top piggy. Just make sure there is no bloodshed and that the dominate one isn't bulling the other one.

aeonkat

Cavy Slave
Keep 2 of everything like food dishes, water bottles and hidey houses and keep everything spaced out. One piggy can't guard everything at once. As far as the fighting goes it's normal, they are sorting out who is going to be top piggy. Just make sure there is no bloodshed and that the dominate one isn't bulling the other one.

Thanks! I have their hidey houses next to each other so I will rearrange. They are not too keen on going to the second level much.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.