Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Introducing Tootsie

Nisha_Tish

Cavy Gazer
Hello everyone,

My name is Nisha and I am an owner of a 7 month old female guinea pig name Tootsie (short for Tootsie roll). This is my second guinea pig and my little, girls gone wild, baby (tehehehehe:cool:) My first guinea pig, Luna, sadly passed due to an URI that Petsmart vets couldn't seem to find. And I only had her for FIVE days. She was only 3 months old and I blamed myself for her death. I thought I would never get over Luna, but when I received Tootsie (she's not from Petsmart) I finally stopped blaming myself and try to love Tootsie. Little do I know, Tootsie has already been some what damaged.

I do not know fully of Tootsie's background and what has happened to her before I got her, I just know that her life must have been tough. When I first got Luna, Luna was very social with me and loved to be cuddle. As for Tootsie, it took her a whole week to come out of her tunnel and she wouldn't let me pet her (She still don't occasionally), but the more I spend time with her, the more she gets to know me and trust me. Now my little fireball is running, playing, popcorning, even showing her dominance to me like she's the boss (BULLY). She's still very skittish to new people and when she's having floor time, she runs behind me and hide when other people want to hand feed her. (She likes it when I do it)

She will be getting a new little sister soon name Nova, who is sick right now and under antibiotics. Since I am still a newbie with my guinea pig, some things she do has me concern.

I want to be a nice mommy to Tootsie because it took us a lot of time and patience to get where we are, but now I feel like my guinea pig is using my niceness as a weakness. She absolutely dislike her cage. And I mean dislike her cage, At first she was chewing on the bars, but now my little clever guinea has decided to use the toys/ teddy bear to climb up on, to jump out the cage. (Miss Boss Lady) I am hoping when I get Nova, Tootsie will do a 360 degree attitude change and lead by example (as a big sister). But there is apart of me that feels she might start a war and have Nova team up on me. (Them being poular and me being the geek).

Sorry for the long intro. Hopefully I get some great feedback and meet some new people that understands my guinea pig and I. (I tell people I have a guinea pig and the first thing they say is "You have a rat". I DO NOT HAVE A RAT.)

My bad girl Tootsie!!!! :D

80s_piggies

Cavy Slave
welcome, Tootsie is very cute! Good luck with Nova and I hope she gets well very soon.

Piggly12

Cavy Slave
Welcome!
I know what you mean about people mistaking guinea pigs; mine get called hamsters!
With the cage issue, how big is it? Most guinea pigs love to run around. It also could be that she can hear or smell Nova, and is trying to get to her.

There is lots of great information on this forum, it has been really useful for me! :)

Nisha_Tish

Cavy Gazer
Aww thank you and I hope so too...her antibiotics should be done now.

Nisha_Tish

Cavy Gazer
Welcome!
I know what you mean about people mistaking guinea pigs; mine get called hamsters!
With the cage issue, how big is it? Most guinea pigs love to run around. It also could be that she can hear or smell Nova, and is trying to get to her.

There is lots of great information on this forum, it has been really useful for me! :)

Thank you and her cage is pretty big. At first I got a petsmart cage, terrible me I know...but I just bought a Midwest Guinea Pig Habitat for Tootsie and she just love biting on the cage bars. She even did that with her old cage. Today she isn't biting on the cage so maybe she's going through puberty?

maddy harper

Cavy Slave
what a cute name by the way :]

CeceliaThePig

Cavy Slave
Welcome to the forum!!!

Adding to the mistaking stories, my grandmother called my little ladies rats D:

She could just be getting used to the new environment c: my Cecelia used to nibble on the cage bars when I first got her (but she was in a petstore cage, and alone.) she could also be lonely, now that I think about it c: glad you adopted Nova to be her friend! Sending well wishes her way c;

Tootsie is beautiful! Sending hellos from my two girls and I c:

Nisha_Tish

Cavy Gazer
Thank you!!!!

kkooiker

Cavy Slave
Hello everyone,

My name is Nisha and I am an owner of a 7 month old female guinea pig name Tootsie (short for Tootsie roll). This is my second guinea pig and my little, girls gone wild, baby (tehehehehe:cool:) My first guinea pig, Luna, sadly passed due to an URI that Petsmart vets couldn't seem to find. And I only had her for FIVE days. She was only 3 months old and I blamed myself for her death. I thought I would never get over Luna, but when I received Tootsie (she's not from Petsmart) I finally stopped blaming myself and try to love Tootsie. Little do I know, Tootsie has already been some what damaged.

I do not know fully of Tootsie's background and what has happened to her before I got her, I just know that her life must have been tough. When I first got Luna, Luna was very social with me and loved to be cuddle. As for Tootsie, it took her a whole week to come out of her tunnel and she wouldn't let me pet her (She still don't occasionally), but the more I spend time with her, the more she gets to know me and trust me. Now my little fireball is running, playing, popcorning, even showing her dominance to me like she's the boss (BULLY). She's still very skittish to new people and when she's having floor time, she runs behind me and hide when other people want to hand feed her. (She likes it when I do it)

She will be getting a new little sister soon name Nova, who is sick right now and under antibiotics. Since I am still a newbie with my guinea pig, some things she do has me concern.

I want to be a nice mommy to Tootsie because it took us a lot of time and patience to get where we are, but now I feel like my guinea pig is using my niceness as a weakness. She absolutely dislike her cage. And I mean dislike her cage, At first she was chewing on the bars, but now my little clever guinea has decided to use the toys/ teddy bear to climb up on, to jump out the cage. (Miss Boss Lady) I am hoping when I get Nova, Tootsie will do a 360 degree attitude change and lead by example (as a big sister). But there is apart of me that feels she might start a war and have Nova team up on me. (Them being poular and me being the geek).

Sorry for the long intro. Hopefully I get some great feedback and meet some new people that understands my guinea pig and I. (I tell people I have a guinea pig and the first thing they say is "You have a rat". I DO NOT HAVE A RAT.)

My bad girl Tootsie!!!! :D

she looks just like my Tootsie

Attachments

IMG_2200.jpg

Nisha_Tish

Cavy Gazer
You named yours tootsie too!!!! And they really do look alike....wow!

Nisha_Tish

Cavy Gazer
My weird female guinea pig

So I decided to take my guinea pig, Tootsie, out for floor time after work. She seemed excited to get out of her cage (of course) and I love to see her run around and be herself (She came a long way). But I think she's in heat because everything she comes into contact with she chatters her teeth at. It's getting to the point were I think she thinks my feet are another guinea pig and she teeth chatters at my feet! What makes it even weirder is that she decided to rumblestrut in front of a small plastic bag I accidently forgot to pick up. She didn't try to bite it or anyting like that, she was just curious and the next thing I know it she began to sway her hips. I went to grab the bag and that's when she began to teeth chatter at me. I never seen her act like this or maybe I'm just seeing things? I'm guessing she's trying to show her dominance towards me, I do not know. Some advice will be greatly appreciated.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Please don't start multiple threads on the same pig. I've merged these two threads.

Nisha_Tish

Cavy Gazer
Sorry, just looking for answers.

Kelly9

Cavy Slave
She's a little cutie.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.