Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Introducing Me and Theo

Sophie060

Cavy Slave
Hi me and my piggie are new to the site! I joined because I am Becoming worried with my Guinea pig, Theo's, weight. He is only 5 months but very very round.

Cavy Treenie

Cavy Slave
Hello welcome to the forum, are you sure he is a he and not a she? Often times petstores missex their piggies, if you got he/she from a pet store, then she (if she IS a she) could very well be pregnant. Do you know how to sex your pig. If not here is a great site for sexing piggies. https://www.guinealynx.info/sexing.html
Also, could we see pigtures?

Sophie060

Cavy Slave
We took him to the vet and comfirmed that Theo really is a male, but if he IS a she he (or she) has not been around other piggies since we first got him (or her) 4 months ago.

Carissa6729

Cavy Slave
Welcome!

Can you post a picture so we can see what your little guy...or girl lol looks like? Might be able to judge if it's a "normal" roundness, possibly overweight or maybe if something else is going on and possibly steer you in the right direction for help.

deardulcie

Cavy Slave
Welcome...and pigtures, please....

Sophie060

Cavy Slave
This is Theo (Sorry for it being upside down! I acidently took it like this and he won't let me take a new photo) I am not sure if he is over weight or not. Like i said he is only 5 months
IMG_0261.jpg

Cavy Treenie

Cavy Slave
He looks alright, but I haven't had boars, so I'll just leave this to someone who knows more about boars and their weight. One more thing, are you going to make a C&C for him? I don't want to go all GET A C&C CAGE on you because I don't know your intentions yet. :eek:ptimist:

Sophie060

Cavy Slave
I'm very new on the site so i haven't gotten it all figured out yet

spudsthepiget

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Hi! Always nice to see new guinea pig lovers.

Theo doesn't look overweight to me, it might be that he's still growing and hasn't finished puberty yet. Or it could be he's just big. My guinea pig Marybell is bigger than both of my males, but she's healthy.

Sophie060

Cavy Slave
Thank you all for commenting! I was also wondering how many times a day should I feed Theo? I've been doing it once a day lately.....Is that to much?

bguardguy

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
There is a handy dandy nutrition thread that is fantastic on how much and how often to feed a pig his veggies, pellets, and hay. I really recommend giving it a glance. However, the size cage you have for it, is basically like the size its litter box should be. I really recommend looking at how to make a C&C cage or thinking of saving up to buy one. He will not be able to get exercise in that size cage at all. They need room to run laps, and the cage you have does not really offer that, so I suggest giving him lots of floor time to run until you get him a bigger cage. Also, dont think that wheels or the balls are going to exercise your piggie. They actually are terrible for pigs. So just a heads up about that! Hope you are doing good!

Little One

Cavy Slave
Hello and welcome!
1 pig generally needs 1/8 cup of pellets per day, 1 cup of veggies per day and unlimited amounts of timothy or grass mix hay. The chart that @Carissa6729 sent you in that link is great too!

Theo is adorable! And I don't think he looks overweight. I have two boars but both mine were older and full grown when I got them so I don't know much about how quickly they grow or put on weight when they're young. You should also get a small kitchen scale and weigh him weekly, that way you can watch for any changes in his weight. If a pig is ill they will hide it for as long as possible (prey animal instinct), so the best way to see if something is going on is to watch his weight.

Carissa6729

Cavy Slave
Thank you all for commenting! I was also wondering how many times a day should I feed Theo? I've been doing it once a day lately.....Is that to much?

He should be fed ideally twice a day (or more if you are around) because guinea pigs are foragers and will enjoy eating over the course of the day. However, they will do just fine eating once a day. They do however HAVE to eat daily, so no, it's definitely not to much. If you decide to feed more often, then split how much you would feed into that many servings; many of us do 1/2 cup veggies twice a day while serving pellets in morning or at night (unlimited if they are under 6 months, 1/8 cup if over) and unlimited amounts of hay at all times and of course unlimited fresh water.

asnnbrg

Cavy Slave
He's a pretty boy! I don't think he looks overweight at all. He might benefit from a bit more exercise -- if you don't give him floor time, that would be a great way to get more activity in his day until you can get him a bigger cage. I feed mine a few times a day just because they really seem to enjoy munching off and on throughout the day.

Oh, and welcome!

Sophie060

Cavy Slave
Wow this is all really good advice! Theo's been eating his veggies very well! The only thing is we are getting low on veggies in my house and all we have left is lettuce, at the store we got him at the lady said he can't have lettuce because it hurts his digestive system....is this true?

asnnbrg

Cavy Slave
Wow this is all really good advice! Theo's been eating his veggies very well! The only thing is we are getting low on veggies in my house and all we have left is lettuce, at the store we got him at the lady said he can't have lettuce because it hurts his digestive system....is this true?

Iceberg lettuce is basically devoid of nutrients, but I don't know that it hurts them. I wouldn't feed it to mine, though. I give them lots of other types of lettuces. What do you have? Mine get red leaf lettuce, arugula, frisee, green leaf lettuce, lamb's lettuce, escarole, mesclun mixes -- actually, they particularly love the organic spring mix from the grocery.

Sophie060

Cavy Slave
I do understand that balls and wheels are not good for piggies but why aren't they?

Razzle

Cavy Slave
Welcome. He is very handsome. Does he get unlimited hay? Very important for his health.

bibliocavy

Cavy Slave
I do understand that balls and wheels are not good for piggies but why aren't they?

They can damage their backs; unlike hamsters, their backs are not designed to bend back. They are less flexible than hamsters, mice and gerbils.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.