Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

How Many? Introducing a new Piggie

lapoissonne

Cavy Slave
Sorry if this has already been asked as I'm new to this group. I have two male neutered piggies that are guesstimated to be 7 months old as I adopted them from an animal shelter. They seem to "tolerate" each other but not be a bonded pair. One is very docile and other will bite you (and break skin) for no reason other than I think he doesn't like anyone. He is very much the dominate pig and we watched them go at it in a piggie fight over food. We have since set up two feeding stations and a few sleep areas. We would like to bring in a female at some point and not sure if that is a terrible idea or not. We are hoping the docile pig will find a friend since he's very sweet and will cuddle but is always in his cozy while the other one explores around him.

You can't put multiple males with females, whether only one female or more. You have have one male with multiple females, but not the other way around.

What's wrong with the set-up you've got? Way more of us than not have pigs that just co-exist in the cage. They don't snuggle, they don't cuddle, they don't sleep together, they don't interact except to steal food from each other or try to mount the other one. That's the normal state of affairs, not "bonded pairs."

Can we add another male at some point?

We don't recommend it. It's very hard to get three males to live together peaceably. Two can manage it, big herds can manage it, but most threesomes result in total failure, sometimes to the point of having three lone pigs, none of whom will live with another. It's far easier to have two pair than one threesome.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.