Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Bonding Introducing 2 babies to already bonded young boars

QuadB

Cavy Slave
Hello,

I have read a ton on introducing boars... I currently have 2 young bonded boars (shortly bonded, only for a few weeks, but went very well) and they are about 4 months old.. I also have 2 4 weeks boars.. they are from the same litter, so they are bonded.. I have the two pairs spearated right now. I was curious as to how I should introduce them.. I know it is supposed to be a one time event if at all possible.. so they do not have to sort out dominance each time they are separated and then joined again.. but I wanted to make sure if it was a good idea to introduce all 4 of them at one time. Also, the babys are so tiny, and wanted to make sure they are big enough to handle the mounting from the older ones. They are 1 lb and 1.4 lbs..

My oldest one, Buttercup, does appear to be the dominant one over Bevo.. but Bevo does not put up with a lot of Buttercups mess, I have actually seen Bevo try to mount Buttercup at times.. but they sleep together, share the same pigloo, and they are very good together. So I am hoping they take to the younger ones well and they can all live together happily.

My main question is do I introduce both pairs at one time? Or do I introduce one baby, then a little after that, introduce the other baby? I know on a neutral territory, scrubbed/clean cage and clean fleece and toys...
And, are the two babies, Bruno and Bruce, old enough to be introduced to Buttercup and Bevo?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I'd do it all at once, but be prepared for the bond between each pair to possibly split. You may wind up with four separate pigs, or two twos, or a one and a three. There's no way to know beforehand.

And I'd think the four-month-old are old enough to handle the adults.

QuadB

Cavy Slave
I'd do it all at once, but be prepared for the bond between each pair to possibly split. You may wind up with four separate pigs, or two twos, or a one and a three. There's no way to know beforehand.

And I'd think the four-month-old are old enough to handle the adults.

I have 2 4 month olds and 2 4 week old, so they are barley a month. No adults yet so hoping since both pairs are still babies they can bond successfully.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Sorry, misread that -- I thought the 4-month-olds were the younger pigs. But it doesn't change my recommendations.

Inle_Rabbit

Moderator / Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Gazer
How exciting adding two babies. Best of luck with the bonding!

QuadB

Cavy Slave
How exciting adding two babies. Best of luck with the bonding!

Thank you! Yes I am excited, and just hope all the boys get a long! A house full of boys!! I have 3 sons, 1 daughter, 4 boars, 1 male puppy and 2 male gerbils!! My daughter and I are the only ladies! ha

I think the boys will do just fine and create such a handsome herd.. they are sooo beautiful, each one!

Inle_Rabbit

Moderator / Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Gazer
I'm out numbered here as well. 2 sons, 1 male dog, 4 male piggies and the husband. I'm the only lady! lol

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.