Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Medications I need tips on administering antibiotics

fieryone

Cavy Slave
Doc was neutered on Thursday and given SMZ to administer until it's gone. It looks to be about a 10 day supply since we're about halfway through the bottle. Every day it becomes harder and harder to get him to take them and I feel like I'm now being too forceful. I've had to resort to prying his mouth open with my fingers but I HATE doing that and this morning he started struggling with me more and I don't want him to hurt himself. Does anyone with more experience have any tips to make this easier on both of us? He's such a chilled out piggy, but not with this!

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
If you push the syringe about halfway back into his mouth, not so far it's nearly down his throat, but not so far up that he can't get a good bite on it, it'll do the work of prying his mouth open and force him to swallow.

My vet explained to me once that if guinea pigs are chewing they are also swallowing, so the best way I know to make sure I'm getting the meds in without risking them aspirating it is to push the syringe back far enough that it forces the pig to chew, just not so far back it's gagging them.

I always sit the pig on my lap on all fours and sort of work them back toward my body so I have a good firm hold on them but so that they are also firmly planted on their feet so they feel more comfortable too.

It's an art form, really.

Peggysu

Cavy Slave
When Sebastian was on Antibiotics he did not like it one bit. I used this technique from guinealynx (https://www.guinealynx.info/tips.html). I would sit on my knees and have him rest his on back leg on each thigh. This would allow for feet to be planted on something firm, yet allow his neuter site to be free from rubbing on anything. You have to be firm in order to make sure they get it. He may not like it, but it's for his benefit.

fieryone

Cavy Slave
My vet explained to me once that if guinea pigs are chewing they are also swallowing, so the best way I know to make sure I'm getting the meds in without risking them aspirating it is to push the syringe back far enough that it forces the pig to chew, just not so far back it's gagging them.

This is interesting and good to know. Thanks. I think he did aspirate a bit the other day because he got really congested sounding but was fine about an hour later. I figured that's what happened and don't want a repeat performance. I'll definitely use the chewing tip!

Peggysu, thanks for the link! I printed the page and hopefully between these two tips, things will go a little smoother.

The poor guy never used to run away from us and even came to us like a dog when we called him. But now he seems to be equating us with unspeakable evils. Poor piggy.

Peggysu

Cavy Slave
The poor guy never used to run away from us and even came to us like a dog when we called him. But now he seems to be equating us with unspeakable evils. Poor piggy.

He'll get over it, especially when you give him his veggies. I always gave Sebastian something to eat after I gave the antibiotics to get the taste out, usually a small piece of bell pepper.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.