Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fleece I need someone who knows about fleece.

hellobritty

Cavy Slave
My C&C cage will be ready on Wednesday. I plan on doing fleece. But I have tons of questions.
I have a TON of the absorbent bed pads can I put those on the bottom instead of puppy pads or uhaul pads?
And how many layers do I need? Like one layer of fleece then the pads or do I need more? And also. I can't sew, don't have a seeing machine. Can I still have fleece bedding without sewing?
And.. My cage has an upper level it's 1x2 I figured for the kitchen or potty area. Should I just use carefresh up there instead of bothering with the fleece?

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
If the bed pads have a none-waterproof layer on one side, then yes. You'd have to put the none-waterproof layer facing the fleece.
You can use the fleece without sewing it, I do. I just loose layer, but I don't have burrowers so I'm lucky. A lot of pigs like to burrow under the fleece which isn't safe, so you might want to get bigger fleece and clip it to your coroplast sides to stop them from burrowing (binder clips to the job quite well)

If the entire upper level will be a potty area, I'd use disposable bedding myself. I'd go with wood/recycled paper pellets though instead of carefresh.

hellobritty

Cavy Slave
If the bed pads have a none-waterproof layer on one side, then yes. You'd have to put the none-waterproof layer facing the fleece.
You can use the fleece without sewing it, I do. I just loose layer, but I don't have burrowers so I'm lucky. A lot of pigs like to burrow under the fleece which isn't safe, so you might want to get bigger fleece and clip it to your coroplast sides to stop them from burrowing (binder clips to the job quite well)

If the entire upper level will be a potty area, I'd use disposable bedding myself. I'd go with wood/recycled paper pellets though instead of carefresh.

So I would put the pads with the soft side down? Like the water proof part of it facing up?

stray hares

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
No, the water proof part does not face up. The absorbent layer faces up, and then you cover the pads with a layer of fleece.

hellobritty

Cavy Slave
No, the water proof part does not face up. The absorbent layer faces up, and then you cover the pads with a layer of fleece.

Gotcha. Do I need another layer? I only have 1 pig and she's not very messy.

pigger123

Cavy Slave
You only want one layer of fleece, and probably only need one absorbent layer. The bed pads will work fine. Many people use fleece but don't sew at all, just lay down the absorbent material, put a big piece of fleece over it, and drape the fleece up over the sides, using binder clips to hold it in place.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.