Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Coroplast Alternatives I need a list of coroplast alternatives that work as well as coroplast

Kiyisha

Cavy Slave
I just did some research and our home depot doesn't carry coroplast, which totally sucks because I really wanted to buy that to put for our cage base and even use as the ramp. I'm contacting a sign shop but we're making a 2x4 cage with a 2x2 loft where 1 grid will be hanging over the end of the cage with supports.

So here's my issue, I know linolium works, shower curtain, etc, but I'm looking for possibly something a bit stronger than those things that will work? is there any? A shower curtain doesn't really seem like it'd work too great cause it'd be too lose and the pigges would likely feel the grid bars through the shower curtain...

I'm at a loss, I need a 76x44 inch for the 2x4 to give all sixes a 6" edge to keep stuff from being kicked out, 44x44 for the top which I will have to cut to fit in some places, but that gives the kitchen a 6" wall too, and 44x18 for the ramp to get to the second level, I'm not sure if 44" is too long for the ramp but I didn't know what to do there so I figured better safe than sorry, the 18" will be split into 6" sections, 6" for the ramp and 6" for each side as a barrier to keep them from trying to jump off the ramp.

I don't know what to do, I am trying to do all this cheap.. and it would have been if home depot actually carried what I needed, 2 sheets for 13 dollars would have easily done the whole cage, I would have had to sacrifice some of the wall edge but thats not a huge deal... Now I'm sad cause it's either going to cost us LOADS more, or I'm going to have to use an alternative altogether D:

*sighs* any ideas/suggestions very welcomed, this was not in my budget plan :( we were looking at 80$ worth of grids for the cage and base, 13-26 dollars for the coroplast, 20 bucks for uhaul pads, and fleece probably another 20 bucks.. and that was all we were going to get, now its going to cost so much more just for the bottom :(

Kiyisha

Cavy Slave
Can anyone tell me if this is what I would buy? or link something from that website that I would buy? I don't know if it's the same thing or not (broken link removed)
I saw somewhere that it was but I'm not sure which of the ones I would buy for the guinea pig cage, and can I score it on my own? Anyone have experience with this???

Kiyisha

Cavy Slave
I read we could use linolieum but is it as thick as coroplast?

piggydaddy1

Cavy Slave
Here is what I use. It's actually wall board that's stain resistant, water proof, won't mildew, mold, or scratch up. Home depot cut it to the specs I needed as well which was 42 x 60, plus there was plenty left over so they could cut the wall pieces I needed as well.

dc0eb0a0-f3b3-4650-a4a6-45d6044440d3_300.jpg

Kiyisha

Cavy Slave
Here is what I use. It's actually wall board that's stain resistant, water proof, won't mildew, mold, or scratch up. Home depot cut it to the specs I needed as well which was 42 x 60, plus there was plenty left over so they could cut the wall pieces I needed as well.

View attachment 61888
Ok so my question is did you just kinda lay the walls against the grids how did you secure them? how high up did you make your walls? How much did it cost?? The grids I'm ordering are 16inches and 9x9 squares, from bed bath and beyond, so the base would be 32 inches and the length would be 64 inches and the top is a 2x2 so it'd be 32x32 i think? i was thinking 6" for the walls but im not sure

piggydaddy1

Cavy Slave
Ok so my question is did you just kinda lay the walls against the grids how did you secure them? how high up did you make your walls? How much did it cost?? The grids I'm ordering are 16inches and 9x9 squares, from bed bath and beyond, so the base would be 32 inches and the length would be 64 inches and the top is a 2x2 so it'd be 32x32 i think? i was thinking 6" for the walls but im not sure

I hope the below pictures help. The top is the finished cage with 6 in walls and the bottom is with the wall board floor and two layers of uhaul pads on top of it minus the walls. I believe I got it for $21 or $22.

CAM00252.jpgCAM00251.jpg

Kiyisha

Cavy Slave
@piggydaddy1 but how many inches high did you make the walls and how did you secure the walls to the grid/base to keep them from flopping over? and was it very expensive to buy that kind of sheeting? I'm not sure how much it costs and am just trying to put a number together to get an idea of how much it'll cost vs coroplast from a sign shop or something, granted from a sign shop will be a lot more than if home depot carried what I needed. I wanted to buy coroplast for fleece flippers, I'd need 6 of them but I'm not sure if Sabic (the company I plan to contact monday) carries coroplast or if their lexan is the same as coroplast and I have no idea who to ask lol

piggydaddy1

Cavy Slave
@piggydaddy1 but how many inches high did you make the walls and how did you secure the walls to the grid/base to keep them from flopping over? and was it very expensive to buy that kind of sheeting? I'm not sure how much it costs and am just trying to put a number together to get an idea of how much it'll cost vs coroplast from a sign shop or something, granted from a sign shop will be a lot more than if home depot carried what I needed. I wanted to buy coroplast for fleece flippers, I'd need 6 of them but I'm not sure if Sabic (the company I plan to contact monday) carries coroplast or if their lexan is the same as coroplast and I have no idea who to ask lol

1) Walls are 6 in high all around

2) The walls are secured to the fleece and grids by binder clips which prevents the piggies from burrowing under the fleece

3) I believe it was $21 or $22 and you can only get it in the store.

Kiyisha

Cavy Slave
1) Walls are 6 in high all around

2) The walls are secured to the fleece and grids by binder clips which prevents the piggies from burrowing under the fleece

3) I believe it was $21 or $22 and you can only get it in the store.
Awesome thanks so much, and is it called wall board or is it called by something else (just so I know what to ask for ^^;

thanks so much for the info btw :)

piggydaddy1

Cavy Slave
Awesome thanks so much, and is it called wall board or is it called by something else (just so I know what to ask for ^^;

Here is a link to it on home depots site and by the way, I didn't pay $32.45 for it like the website says. I know it seems like a weird alternative, but it does work.

(broken link removed)

Last edited:

lissie

Cavy Slave
How far are you from Denver? You can get 4x8 ft sheet of coroplast at this place. (call before you go there)
(broken link removed)

piggydaddy1

Cavy Slave

By the way I sent you a PM not to long ago about sending your stuff.

Kiyisha

Cavy Slave
@lissie @piggydaddy1 Awesome thanks so much guys :) and I was actually going to contact sabic and see if they could help me, I was thinking of either getting extra or 2 of the 4x8's (maybe sabic has a bigger size?) so I have enough left over to build fleece flippers

Jencat

Cavy Slave
Linoleum is really sturdy,I don't see any reason it wouldn't work. I am currently using visqeen as a temporary liner until I can get coroplast

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.