Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

I need a bunch of ideas to make their cage fun.

Pinkstiletto66

Cavy Slave
Okay, so... I now have two guineas and a large cage. I intend on getting a coroplast cage soon. For now I have the Midwest cage. So now the only thing in it are two igloos, food bowl and water. I'd like to give their cage some pow! No building suggestions because this cage isn't buildable. Anywho, I noticed some piggies with toys and accessories. Can you either list about three things that I can add to my cage and where I can get them? An included picture would help. I get so overwhelmed looking at other peoples photos of their cool cages and I just stop there.

PiggieGuru

Cavy Slave
I'm interested to see everyone's suggestions! My guinea pig cage is currently very bland and boring :(

SurfingPigs

Cavy Slave
I will give you my top three based upon the amount of popcorning :D that my pigs have done in response to my random cage additions. Also, I'm not too familiar with what a Midwest cage is, but I searched online and it looks like there are a couple different types. However, all of my toys can be modified to work with most any cage.

1. Fleece forest. Buy some fleece, cut strips, tie them to a cube that is above the pigs' heads (I tied mine to the bottom of the second level, so when they're on the first level they run around in it). If you click on my name and go to my album, there is a picture of Grizzly in the fleece forest for reference. Since your cage (from what I saw on google) doesn't have a top, you could always punch holes in cardboard, feed fleece through the holes, binder clip the top of the fleece to prevent it from getting pulled through, and just set the cardboard on top of the cage edges (or binder clip it to the cage edges).

2. Corner towel. I binder clipped a small hand towel over a corner of the cage. It has basically become a nap spot/necessary checkpoint in their zoomies. They love to run around under the towel, as it makes a sort of tent/tunnel in their corner. Again, very basic addition that you could do in 2 minutes. If you need a picture let me know and I can take one later. If the corner isn't enough of an angle to keep the towel from just laying flat against the edge, you can move a pigloo closer to the edge and drape the towel on top of the pigloo, leaving enough room between the pigloo and edge of cage for running under the towel tent/tunnel.

3. Tunnel with hay. My pigs love their hay and their tunnels. Try stuffing a tunnel (or toilet paper roll that is cut) with hay and leave it in their cage. You can also hide a treat in a stack of hay to stimulate them.

And my wildcard pick: Ball of newspaper! So easy, but Yeti loves to grab this and run around with it all over the place.

Good luck! Try getting creative with anything that won't harm them through contact or consumption and you should have some very happy pigs.

pinky

Cavy Slave
Empty oatmeal boxes with the bottom cut out keep them amused. PVC pipes, especially the y shaped ones keep them busy, too.

Pinkstiletto66

Cavy Slave
I'd like a picture thanks. I will definitely check your page for other pictures. Thanks for the info.

sarah_atx

Cavy Slave
Mine really like an empty saltine cracker box with both ends open. It makes a good tunnel. They really like the fleece forest too. People have said before some guinea pigs like to push around a ping pong ball, I'm going to get one soon to see if mine like it.

EDIT: Whoops, sorry the picture's sideways. You get the idea though. :)

longlostcurls

Cavy Slave
i really like your fleece forest idea. I could imagine how much fun that could be. I will definetly be stealing your idea. I also use a old tissue box and stuff it with hay, they really enjoy that one.

tarice

Cavy Slave
Im not sure how everyone feels about this, but I make stairs/caves for my guinea out of washed/clean bricks. But if you do this make sure there is absolutely no way for it to fall/tip/wobble. It is also a great way to keep them cool in the summer. :) Just a tip: put one under their water bottle if it is leaky or they are a messy drinker.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.