Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

What breed? I know absolutely nothing about guinea pig breeds

LithiumRiot

Cavy Slave
I know absolutely nothing about guinea pig breeds
What kind of pig do I have? sorry if this is a stupid question

Haha, I know very little about breeds as well but I can say that it's a cutie!

You have an American Shorthair. Grey & White agouti coloring.

I met someone at the Bay Area Pignic who swore up and down she had an Abyssinian, but it was an American Shorthair. I think her piggy's coloring confused her somehow, because she kept talking about its color. I hate to argue so eventually I just said "OK". Isn't there a good link floating around here that shows examples of different breeds?? I know my Silky/ Sheltie's hair doesn't get super long, so I wonder if he is mixed somehow. Anyway, your piggy is adorable! What is his/ her name?

Anyway, your piggy is adorable! What is his/ her name?

Awe, thanks! Her name is Sweetie Belle (after a pony in My Little Pony. Yeah, i know im a dork xD)

I met someone at the Bay Area Pignic who swore up and down she had an Abyssinian, but it was an American Shorthair. I think her piggy's coloring confused her somehow, because she kept talking about its color. I hate to argue so eventually I just said "OK". Isn't there a good link floating around here that shows examples of different breeds?? I know my Silky/ Sheltie's hair doesn't get super long, so I wonder if he is mixed somehow. Anyway, your piggy is adorable! What is his/ her name?
Do you have a picture of your mixed piggy? I think i have a mixed piggy too. Presley has longish hair she is definitely not a short hair, but it is not quite long enough for her to be a silky.
@NorthernLight I know, Wikipedia isn't always the most reliable of sources but this one looks pretty good. List of guinea pig breeds - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I have always found that link helpful. :D

This is Clifford's rump, which best shows his medium-length hair. He has shorter hair around his face, and the hair you see down his back in this photo gets a few inches longer than this. So I am thinking Silky/ American Shorthair mix??

This is Clifford's rump, which best shows his medium-length hair. He has shorter hair around his face, and the hair you see down his back in this photo gets a few inches longer than this. So I am thinking Silky/ American Shorthair mix??

View attachment 34362

My piggy is the same way, she has short hair in the front, and on her rump the hair is almost 3X the length of the short hairs, I don't think I have any good pictures of it.

So, I just took this picture, it is not quite as long as your piggies hair, but you can tell that on the top the hairs are rather short, and on her lower back and rump the hairs are almost twice the length, if not more.

@aemsva, I think our piggies are the same breed mix! I hope we find out what they are. Feel free to chime in, folks! My other pigs are obviously an Abyssinian, two American Shorthairs, and two Himalayans.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.