Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fleece I just bought fabric... AGAIN! lol

MommaOfFour

Cavy Slave
Soooo..... I have to admit.... despite telling myself that yes I do have enough fleece for the piggies and that no I don't need any new stuff.... I ended up buying 2 fleeces and 2 cotton fabric things at Joann (both on sale so what am I going to do right? Walk away? Yes I tried but it didn't work LOL)

just wanted to share my new treasures..... if anyone still wonders.... yes im in love with owls!!!! Already have an owl theme fleece liner but this new one won't be big enough to cover the entire cage so ill probably make a bunch of pillows and pads.

What I really didn't consider..... what am I going to do with the cotton fabrics? I got 2yards each. Truly no idea what those are good for but they were so cute I had to get them haha
Do you guys have any ideas?

Attachments

20140129_194614.jpg 20140129_194636.jpg 20140129_194525.jpg 20140129_194546.jpg

ChristyAnne

Cavy Slave
Just a thought but u could use the cotton material to make hay bags out of....

Amanda Branch

Cavy Slave
Love it!!!!!

pawner69

Cavy Slave
I know what you mean! There is a fabric store in my area going out of business and has everything at 60% off so I went and bought 35 yards of fleece! :p HAHAHAHA My hubby was not impressed. LOL I am thinking I might go back for more before they finally close the doors. My piggies have fleece for life. lol

alfonzpig

Cavy Slave
It is hard for me to pass the fabric bins in any store, but the boyfriend says I have to use up what I have before considering more lol

MommaOfFour

Cavy Slave
thanks guys, I'm happy about all the support, helps me forget the bad consciousness/guilt for buying even more fleece haha =)
my husband is the same when he finds out I bought new fleece - comments, shaking his head etc pp. but he was at work last night when I went to the store and as soon as I got home I put it away - I feel so sneaky lol. he usually doesnt go into the fleece drawer so I'm planning on prepping the fleece and making pillows/beds/pads when he's at work on the weekend and then just sneak them in the cage one by one LOL

@pawner69 that's amazing about your fabric store!!! I would buy a truck load as well if one of the ones here was to go out of business. that's a piggy momma's paradise =)

I think I will try to make a hay bag with the cotton fabric.
I don't have a sewing machine and I'm super slow hand sewing but I got this mesh stuff that you put between layers and iron over it and it's supposed to hold as good as actual sewn seams. we'll see. has anyone tried that stuff before?
ugh I so want a sewing machine =(

and any other ideas what I could use the cotton fabric for? could I use it to make like a canope/fleece forest type thing and maybe a lap pad or does cotton no wick?

Starthecavy123

Cavy Slave
You could always use the cotton fabric on the outside of some cozies. You could also do what one other person suggested make a hay bag out of it. You could make a tunnel and put the cotton fabric on the outside. Pretty much any cozie that the pigs will only be touching the fleece part (if that makes sence).

Like this
uploadfromtaptalk1391105467441.jpg

The outter pattern fabric on this is cotton. So something like that.

Starthecavy123

Cavy Slave
ugh I so want a sewing machine =(

My sewing maching is a small portable sewing maching. Its an easy stitcher I got it has a christmas present. It was only $30 my mom got it while it was on sale though. Amazon has it for $38 so thats not a big difference. And really for a beginner like me its just the perfect size.

(broken link removed)

MommaOfFour

Cavy Slave
@Starthecavy123 thats a great idea about the hideous/copies and tunnels! And what a cute sewing machine :) good job on the honey you made too!! Do you think I could make one without sewing or using the sewing mesh stuff instead of needles?

Starthecavy123

Cavy Slave
Sorry I didn't make the piglu I should of mentioned that. It was made by laura from piggiepigpigs. I just wanted to give you an idea for something that you could do while using the cotton fabric.

Yea I really like my sewing machine its really all I need. Once I get the hang of using a sewing machine and start sewing a lot I will probably get a bigger one. But that probably won't happen for a while. And besides living in an appartment its the perfect size.

SioCat

Cavy Slave
I use cotton material for my corner curtains. Its just the triangle section on top that I use the cotton for. The hanging part is still fleece. Its easier for me to attach the eyelets to the cotton and I think it looks nicer this way.

MommaOfFour

Cavy Slave
@Starthecavy123 : I'm in the same boat as you as far as limited space goes. hubby and I are in a 1 bedroom atm, have a small office set up in the bedroom, which would be the only space where I could effectively put a sewing machine without cluttering up everything. another reason why I haven't gotten one yet. I really like the small size of the one you have! is it strong/sturdy enough to sew threw 2 layers of uhaul and 1-2 layers fleece you think? that's my only concern with small/light weight sewing machines.

@SioCat that's a good idea with the curtains too! what is the main reason you don't use cotton fabric for the hanging part of the curtain?

Starthecavy123

Cavy Slave
is it strong/sturdy enough to sew threw 2 layers of uhaul and 1-2 layers fleece you think? that's my only concern with small/light weight sewing machines.

I'm not sure yet because I havnt gotten my uhauls yet. I still have to save up my money because I have to buy them online. As all the uhauls near me don't sell them they only rent them. But I have tried it out on scrap fabric and it seems sturdy. Also you may want to get a ballpoint or denim needle for it. I have a ballpoint need on it right now.

Amanda Branch

Cavy Slave
I went and rummaged remnant bins today and bought some new fabric!! Can't wait to start making new things for my piggies after I wash it of course hehehe

Jencat

Cavy Slave
Love the fabric. Reminds me of a quote. "I am a fabricaholic on the road to recovery. Just kidding, I am on my way to the fabric store!"

If anyone is looking for a sewing machine, Ikea has a new one $80. And thrifts shops almost always have one too.
I have also had really good luck sourcing materials like fencing, wood, old towels and blankets from a local exchange group kind of like craigslist and the Craigslist wanted section. A lot of people just shove these things into storage I have found and they are happy to get rid of them. I also keep asking everyone I know for their old towels and blankets and fleece scraps. I have received a pretty good stock pile over the course of a month for next to nothing, I did pick up 18 bath towels for $20 from a thrift shop having a 50% off sale.

Zombie Queen

Cavy Slave
Soooo..... I have to admit.... despite telling myself that yes I do have enough fleece for the piggies and that no I don't need any new stuff.... I ended up buying 2 fleeces and 2 cotton fabric things at Joann (both on sale so what am I going to do right? Walk away? Yes I tried but it didn't work LOL)

just wanted to share my new treasures..... if anyone still wonders.... yes im in love with owls!!!! Already have an owl theme fleece liner but this new one won't be big enough to cover the entire cage so ill probably make a bunch of pillows and pads.

What I really didn't consider..... what am I going to do with the cotton fabrics? I got 2yards each. Truly no idea what those are good for but they were so cute I had to get them haha
Do you guys have any ideas?

Where do you buy your fabric...I love the owls especially!

MommaOfFour

Cavy Slave
@Amanda Branch that's cool your store has a lot of good deals in the remnant bins!! for some reason Joann here gives hardly any discounts on remnants. even with the discount for remnants applied, most of the time the fleece that's on sale through regular adds still turns out to be cheaper per yard than the remnants :( and I have the whole pre-washing process! especially because it needs to be washed multiple times and ugh I'm so impatient haha ^^

@Jencat thanks for the info about the Ikea sewing machine! I just went there a couple weeks ago but didn't see one, I'll have to check it out online. Ive been going back and forth to Goodwill but no sewing machines have showed up so far. maybe I need to go to a bigger one in the next city (?) and that's awesome about the exchange websites too! I had no idea that even exists! I'm always on the hunt for more towels too! can never have enough to place under fleece forests and litter boxes! (and for lap time of course!)

@Zombie Queen : thanks, I love owls too!!! =) I bought the fleece at Joann's - they have them on sale for 40% off at the moment (then again, I don't think I went there more than 2 times when fleece wasn't on sale lol)

Traysea

Cavy Slave
LOL I totally feel you. The last thing I need is more fleece but that didn't stop me from buying 4 yards and 3 no sew blankets online today at joanns. My cousin just got two piggies for her daughter and she set up a 2x4 cage for them so I have been sewing lots of stuff for her cage now! By the time I am done she will be set for fleece bedding and accessories.

I am also working on quilts, pillows and pillowcases for my daughters. Fabric is a terrible addiction!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.