Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Size I Felt So Sad at Petsmart/ Update on my Guinea Pig

Guinea2002

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
We went to Petsmart today and I saw the Guinea Pig and they looked so sad It made me sad they didn't get enough care :sad:. They had 3 Guinea Pigs in a Tiny Aquarium thing not even the size of my cage which is for one pig It made me sad and I have came up with Some cage ideas and have assumed I have a Male Guinea Pig I have planned to build a large cage and too eliminate any troubles of having pregnancy I have made sure that I get a Fixed Female or Male Guinea Pig when I build a DIY Cage I have thought of building it in the corner of our Living room so my Guinea Pig can have a friend and have a larger cage. Is it a good idea to atleast get his freind fixed? We also have 4 names left for my Guinea Pig were giving it a Unisex name so if we find out its Female. Also My Dad said If I am able to work it out we can get a Baby as soon as were ready!!!

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Your pig should definitely have a friend, but you should wait until you know the sex of the pig you have before adding another. If you have two of the same sex, there's no need to have either of them fixed.

Guinea2002

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
Your pig should definitely have a friend, but you should wait until you know the sex of the pig you have before adding another. If you have two of the same sex, there's no need to have either of them fixed.

Yes but Is it okay if I get his friend already Spayed or Neutered from a rescue so it can't get pregnant if it's a Female. My Uncle told me it's gender but I'm not exactly sure as he hasn't sexed one since 2012 that's why I thought of already getting a fixed one already from the rescue

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Absolutely. If the second pig is already spayed or neutered, then the only thing that matters is whether your present pig and the new one will get along. That's where doing proper introductions will come in.

Guinea2002

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
Absolutely. If the second pig is already spayed or neutered, then the only thing that matters is whether your present pig and the new one will get along. That's where doing proper introductions will come in.

Yes I have started reading on introductions and am getting supplies for the new cage I have ready many things and only to separate only if they draw blood do u think you could tell me if its Good size if i measure it in cm?

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Sure, I'm Canadian but I'm old enough to remember going to grade school with Imperial measurement then switching to metric lol

Guinea2002

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
Sure, I'm Canadian but I'm old enough to remember going to grade school with Imperial measurement then switching to metric lol

Lol Im looking at my living room right now thinking how do i not feel cramped there is no space but I will work it out Lol

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Believe it or not, my living room has a tiny little corner for a couch, chair, and TV. Everything else is devoted to piggies! Thats how I do it, I sacrifice my space for them lol. My boys have cages and a pen that is 4.5 feet wide by just over 8 feet long!

Guinea2002

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
Believe it or not, my living room has a tiny little corner for a couch, chair, and TV. Everything else is devoted to piggies! Thats how I do it, I sacrifice my space for them lol. My boys have cages and a pen that is 4.5 feet wide by just over 8 feet long!

Yes but It's not easy when you live in a house of 5 I was talking to my Mom about it and she was like i'm crazy for trying to build a new cage but I'm actually going to build it I have thought of sacrificing my room But I have no room I have thought of squeezing them in a corner and moving a cabinet

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I'm sure you'll think of something, just remember that extra levels don't really count toward square footage. They need flat room to run, and my boys RUN!

Guinea2002

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
I'm sure you'll think of something, just remember that extra levels don't really count toward square footage. They need flat room to run, and my boys RUN!

I know i have considered of asking my dad if we would a shelf and push the sofa towards the door and put it in that space but I think I need to make a Cage first and also I'm looking for pigs online but none are fixed

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Keep at it. You'll sort it all out.

CavyTV

Cavy Slave
I think it'd be much easier to first identify the gender of your current pig. That way you know which gender to look for... I think it'll make thing easier. Here's how to do it: https://www.cavyspirit.com/sexing.htm

You can also check Craigslist, guineapigfinder.com, and petfinder.com along with your local shelter and rescue for a piggie friend.

Guinea2002

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
I think it'd be much easier to first identify the gender of your current pig. That way you know which gender to look for... I think it'll make thing easier. Here's how to do it: https://www.cavyspirit.com/sexing.htm

You can also check Craigslist, guineapigfinder.com, and petfinder.com along with your local shelter and rescue for a piggie friend.

Yes but I doesn't like being picked up the owner said he never liked being picked up and it's very difficult but my Dad can probably try I will post a picture when I get around to it

CavyTV

Cavy Slave
Even if it's difficult you have to try. Try to make it go into a blanket or tunnel/hidey and then pick the whole thing up with it in it.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.