Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Coroplast I feel horrible. Just plain horrible.

KiwiCavyAdorer

Cavy Slave
Oh YAY! well where ever it came from we'll likely be as relieved as you are grateful for it! that's just wonderful news! What a lovely change of heart! I hope that the two of find ways to really Enjoy the process and the outcomes too... thanks for letting us know!

pinky

Cavy Slave
Make sure you give your mom a big hug!

I've got good news.
My mom says she plans on letting me make a bigger cage for my pig, only she'll be using plexiglass instead of coroplast. It'll be a 2x4 and she said I can make whatever size loft I'd like.

I have no idea where her change of heart came from, but it sure makes me happy. :)

louie_joey

Cavy Slave

pinky

Cavy Slave
As long as she does the dishes and cleans up the kitchen, too... :)

Nikkipig

Cavy Slave
Well, I played around with my computer for a while, and was able to make a virtual sketch of the cage me and my mom will be building... :)
(just replace the wire mesh with grids!)
CC2x4loftx1.png

CC2x4loftx2.png

Opinions?

KiwiCavyAdorer

Cavy Slave
Wow really nice graphics you've come up with there! Looks like it's going to be Wonderful!!

The little brown square on the top level - is that going to be where the ramp fits in?

You know while I was looking at it - thinking - heck that's neat to be able to do those graphics - I kind of "saw" a tube going from the end of the cage furtherest away from the loft, out of the cage and then along the side and sort of turning into the loft space.... and I thought - wow - that's a cool idea. That would make for great exercise. Now that I've typed the thought out I'm thinking - I wonder if you'd want to make one either side so that no piggie obstructions occurred in the tube....

Have you thought about your colours? Do you or your Mom have favorite colours that would work in well together?

I'm really thrilled for you! you must feel so relieved and so excited about this!

kathlaaron

Cavy Slave
Yahooooo ! That is really great news ! lol

kathlaaron

Cavy Slave
Wow really nice graphics you've come up with there! Looks like it's going to be Wonderful!!
You know while I was looking at it - thinking - heck that's neat to be able to do those graphics - I kind of "saw" a tube going from the end of the cage furtherest away from the loft, out of the cage and then along the side and sort of turning into the loft space.... and I thought - wow - that's a cool idea. That would make for great exercise.

Nikkipig- I really like that idea too, that Kiwicavyadorer mentioned above in her quote, what do you think of that ? I have seen many photo's in the gallery of this type of set up, and always wondered about it myself. The only down side, that I think might be a negative factor is : "How hard would it be to clean, and how often would one have to clean it out ?" I have thought about trying the idea out myself though, and see how my girls and I like it.

I love your graphics and set up idea too, it looks fantastic so far ! I am so happy that you and your Mom were able to work things out. How is your little piggie doing, anyway ?

Nikkipig

Cavy Slave
Nikki's doing great. Today she was weeking for veggies as I fed my turtle. lol
I might try the tube idea, but the desk the cage will be sitting on is only big enough for the cage only and I'm not sure if the tube will fit?
Another problem is, we tried that idea with our last pigs and one or two of them would always try and sleep in the tubes, and they were a pain to get out. Plus they really icked up the tubes in there.
It's a really good idea, I'm just not sure if I'd work with me.
And yes, that little brown/open area in the loft is for the ramp. :)

lissie

Cavy Slave
Wow! Very nice sketch up.

Nikkipig

Cavy Slave
Thanks. :) It was my first time using it and took a while.
(I don't know where to post this, so I'll just add it on here. Nikki felt the aftershocks of the earthquake that just shook the East Coast and she was frozen like a statue for twenty-thirty seconds. Poor girl! She did go back to playing normally once the shaking stopped though.)

SurfingPigs

Cavy Slave
Nice sketch. It is literally the same as my cage when I first made it.

I'm not sure how large your pig is but my only recommendation, from personal experience with this design, would be to expand the ramp width. I built my cage this size when I had two young sows, and the ramp was fine. However, when I expanded the cage and added a 1125g boar to the mix, he was a little chubby for the ramp and couldn't turn around while on the ramp lol

I ended up expanding the ramp/opening for the ramp, and actually designed it so that the ramp doesn't take up any floor space at all. It is super easy to clean, sturdy enough for three chubby pigs to hang out on together, and the pigs LOVE jumping up and down from it.

Here's a picture of it:

gpig-1.jpg

Nikkipig

Cavy Slave
Nikki's still pretty young, and a small pig. (She'd weigh more if she didn't run so much lol)
I think it would be pretty easy to expand the ramp size if I needed to, but for now I'll start off with a 4"x4" opening into the loft.
Nice cage, by the way. I like how you made your ramp, so I'll defiantly keep it in mind for when she gets older.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.