Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

I don't know where to put this but emergency

pignewton

Cavy Slave
Rats make the best surrogate moms for mice.

smartorl

Cavy Slave
I am very sad to tell you guys that when I went to check on the mice, Stuart was under his mom curled up dead. He was just curled in a little ball, no sign of struggle or anything. If only I had taken the snake yesterday, I so thought he would make it when I saw him nurse.

VoodooJoint

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator!
Cavy Slave
I'm sorry. I think he probably had gotten too chilled while in the snake cage alone. Little ones don't normaly survive an extended drop in their body temp.

You did all you could. It was a long shot.

smartorl

Cavy Slave
I think the heat mat under the tank and the humidity under the crock may have kept him alive. I am still astounded that he was alive after all of those days, I would have thought two days maximum. I feel so tired, today has been a roller coaster, I really thought he would pull through, he was so close. Thank you for input and support.

Lyndsay

Cavy Slave
And thank you for taking the time to care for an animal that would have probably been eaten, or died a more horrible death.

Are you keeping the mother mousy now?

Himino

Cavy Slave
Oh, I'm so sorry Smartorl. You did everything you could. And went above and beyond what many would do.

Sabriel

Cavy Slave
I'm so sorry for your loss. Poor little guy was probably glad to have someone who cared for him so much.

pignewton

Cavy Slave
Thats so heartbreaking! I am sorry.

Lydia

Cavy Slave
Wow... this was the first chance I've had to really read online for a while and I'm very touched by your story... I've tried to save little pinkies before and it's not worked either, but I do understand the terrible rollercoaster. I applaud your efforts - it shows a good heart to care enough to do what you've done.

smartorl

Cavy Slave
Mommy mouse got a checkup today, I already had an appointment for another animal so I took her in too. The vet doesn't think her hairloss is mites, he thinks hormonal and dietary issues. The bite wounds were cleaned up and she already looks much better. We will have to wait and see if she is pregnant, although I will assume she is and treat it accordingly. Her baby is doing well, he is fat as a little piglet. He is so lively and vocal. Mom is eating everything! I gave her some apple bits and greens for a little treat and when I got up this morning she had them all in bed with the baby. She eats non stop! She is very sweet and quiet and doesn't seem to mind being handled. We have named her Mrs. Little, it suits her. I knew as soon as I heard how long Stuart was in the cage that he didn't have any chance. His will to live made me lose sight of logic for a bit but I am glad that he had a chance and got to know warmth and love if even for a little while, many are not that lucky. I was upset yesterday and this morning I made the decision to report the breeder to the authorities. I got the vet records from Mrs. Little and gave a statement. Apparently, there have been other reports against them mostly by neighbors with regard to the smell and the dead bodies laying around (which I did not see but I wasn't on the rear of the property) as a public health risk. The ACO that took my report has known me for a while and has helped me quite a bit in the past. I contacted her yesterday when looking for a surrogate and she seemed genuinely sad to hear he had not made it. She is going to issue a warning to the snake's previous owner about this incident. I got a fax copy of my report over and in addition to the case number, there is a case name "Project Stuart Little" which made me smile, little Stuart will get his legacy after all, hopefully by making a difference. I suspect a seizure in the case of the breeder. From what I saw, I am sad to say that most will probably be euthenized. Thank you all for your kind words and encouragement, I have taken a deep breath and calmed down a bit.

Carissa

Cavy Slave
Smartorl, your story brought tears to my eyes and I just wanted you to know what an amazing person you are.

HowietheGreat

Cavy Slave
I'm so sorry he passed. It brought tears to my eyes seeing his little body curled. I love that the report had his name and agree that it will be his legacy. So many people treat animals as though they are disposable and I am so proud to know so many people on this site, that are so empathtic, and compassionate with throughly evolved morals and ideas that expand far beyond the thoughts and beliefs of the general public. Smartol, you did do such a wonderful thing helping the little guy out. You truly couldn't have done more. You really are a special person. Keep us updated on the mom and baby.

JarBax

Cavy Slave
I am sorry to hear about Little Stuart - his story, and yours sincerely touched me.

jdomans

Cavy Slave
This is a sad but beautiful story. How is mom and baby doing today? I bet with a little time and good nutrition she will be a beautiful mouse once again.

smartorl

Cavy Slave
Mom is gaining weight! She is so sweet and seems very grateful. The baby is now white, he has sprouted his hair, it seemed to happen overnight. Mom spends alot of time exploring, crawling around under the litter, while the little piglet sleeps. There are signs of hair regrowth where she is missing hair from the bites. I never knew baby mice were so loud. He sqeaks all the time. I also think he can hear, when I talk to mom, he has started waking up and moving but I don't know if that is because of the vibration but I think it is hearing. I have moved them into a larger cage, I am not worried about her abandoning him. They are doing very well, I am very pleased with their progress. I am not sure when I will be able to tell if mom is indeed pregnant, I would love for anyone with experience in that to give me their input. I am hoping that her poor condition would keep her from conceiving but I have been told that may not be the case.

JarBax

Cavy Slave
That is so good to hear!

I have vague bells ringing that some creatures actually conceive almost on the brink of death - in a brave attempt to preserve the species. No idea where that sprung from - one of those peculiar moments when long forgotton memories surprise you!

PiggieMamaKelly

Cavy Slave
Wow, you're agressive smartorl! A very inspirational story.

suzilovespiggie

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
I just read your beautiful story. I am in tears. I read with pins and needles and so rejoiced when Stuart ate. I was heartbroken when he died. I cried when he will live on with the Stuart Little Project. I am so proud of you and your heart to save and love such a little one. You inspire us all to continue the fight for all of these innocent animals that the world wants to throw away.
Thank you for loving and giving Momma and baby a chance for a wonderful life. Keep us posted and of course pictures.

smartorl

Cavy Slave
Mom is doing wonderful, the baby began to struggle last night. He went from being fat an active to quiet and not moving around much. I thought it was a growth phase. Mom appears to have buried the baby, before or after he died I am not sure, I found him in the very bottom of the cage litter, I literally had to remove it all to find him. I am sad but not surprised due to the horrid conditions they came from. The wounds are pretty much healed on momma mouse, still unsure if she is pregnant or not although she is getting very fat very quickly.

zambonigirl

Cavy Slave
Wow, I go away for a week, and one of the best stories I've heard in a long time happens while I'm gone! I'm really, really moved by this story and your tenacity at finding Stuart a family. I think that Mama Mouse is really going to love you once she gets used to you.

And wow you, taking in three new pets! That's grounds for sainthood, isn't it? Thanks for sharing this.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.