Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

I apparently forgot to introduce myself....

Amethysta

Cavy Slave
I joined early last month after I had been looking through the forums for a month or so previous to when I joined... glad to have found my way here.

My name is Amy, I'll be 40 a week from today, and I am definitely a Cavy Slave.

I have owned cavies in the past when we lived in Alaska -- but I haven't had any in quite a few years. I had been looking at Craigslist (I know.. it's bad, but I couldn't help myself...) and came across Pepper. After my husband and I had talked it over - okay more like, I told him I wanted to give her a home here, and he reluctantly agreed (
lol) . After we brought her home, I started doing research on what was the best food - pellets/hay/ect.. which was when I found myself here. I found that Pigs were best kept in pairs, so I appealed to his softer side and we found a "little" girl to bring home to keep her company. That was Paprika.

Velvet, Sparkplug, and Nibbler came next... they have a story that I'll blog about later... it's long.

I had done quite a bit of research about breeds and colors and such, and I know how horrible this is, but I wanted a Himalayan. I am really glad I was persistent about this... they are all so adorable, but it was something I just couldn't help.

One afternoon last month, I was particularly bored, I had been looking at Craigslist again.. and there she was... Snowflake. She was stunning.. a Peruvian Himalayan. We drove to the woman's house to get her... I was absolutely over the roof. I love all my animals, but.. you know when you see a picture, and you just know that it's instant love? She was what I was looking for. We arrived 45 agonizing minutes early, she pulled up in her car, and inside her house we went. I saw two cages... both a little smaller than a 2x3 c&c cage. As we moved closer into the living area... she moved up... and there was Snowflake... dead in her cage. From what I could gather from the conversation with her, she had been juggled from home to home... and had just got back from someone's home that couldn't care for her. I was in tears.. not only was it a horrible story, but the girl had likely starved to death. In the cage next to hers, was a male, female, and two babies. She told me that she was going to "rehome them at 4 weeks anyway, so if I wanted to take them, I could". So.. I didn't give it a second thought... we grabbed the cage and brought them out to our car. My husband wasn't too happy with me, but after the discussion we had on the way home (plus he knows how I am) he understood why I snagged them. I have to say, that without the ad for Snowflake, I would not have Phoebe, Smudge, Muddy and Sapphiera. They have the best personalities, and are so incredibly lovable.

So, that brought our total to 9... until I saw Odin's ad on Craigslist.

Odin. My Himalayan. I am not sure about his home previous to ours, but, his owner "wanted him gone." I actually didn't believe my eyes, it was worse when the previous owner dropped him and his "wife"( - his words, not mine) and their 3 month old son. The female (Apollymi) was almost as small as the baby, Odin has a cloudy eye I believe he has some vision distortion out of it, but he can see out of it. He'll be seen by our vet in March. The only one that was normalish was the little one Archeron. He is VERY skittish, even outside of the cage.

So with them, and Velvet's 3 babies, that brings our total to 15. I am on the "waiting game" with Paprika, Phoebe, Nibbler and Apollymi. I am hoping that they turn out to just be "watch", not to actually be expecting.

They all get veggies twice a day, I feed Mazuri pellets right now, but I am seriously thinking about switching to Oxbow if I can find somewhere locally that sells it in larger quantities than 10 lbs. They get unlimited Timothy hay right now (bought a huge 3 string from Reber Ranch - 115 lbs I believe they said it weighed). I plan on adding Orchard Grass next month also. I'm allergic to the Timothy, and from what I've been reading Orchard Grass might be a better option.

Thank you if you made it through my novel, I have enjoyed being here, and hope to continue to learn and grow with the information and experiences I've found here!

~Amy, Ben (Hubby), 4 non - FURRED kids (
18, 10, 8, and 4), 1 very spoiled orphaned kitten "Tiggy", and our 15 Guinea Pigs: Pepper, Paprika, Velvet, Sparkplug, Nibbler, Phoebe, Smudge, Muddy, Sapphiera, Odin, Apollymi, Archeron and the newborns, Sheepy (thinking of a name), Twinkletoes, and ZoomZoom.

Frapplove

Cavy Slave
What a bittersweet story :tearsofjo

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
That's quite a story! I'd love to have that many, but think I'd find myself in divorce court on the way to acquiring them.

Just a suggestion, you're right under KM's nose -- she's in eastern Washington state, and shipping should be negligible. Her pellets are awesome, as is the hay. Although, in that part of the country you should be able to find local hay.

kananaka

Cavy Slave
Hi. What a story! I am so glad that they have you to love them.

pinky

Cavy Slave
Welcome, Amy! I'd get Odin in to your vet as soon as possible. A cloudy eye could be the result of an injury that needs immediate attention. Eye injuries can be really painful and can result in the loss of the eye if not treated.

Amethysta

Cavy Slave
Thank you all for the warm welcome!

@pinky: He and the cat go in on the first (she needs her booster) and I want to make sure Odin is Okay. I wish I could get a good picture of the eye, I looked on GuineaLynx, and it doesn't look like it was from an injury, but I am just going to bring him in to be seen just to be on the safe side.

@bpatters: You're right about the hay - we have a ton of farms locally, and two feed stores to choose from. I did look into KM, the price is still high to have it shipped here because of the poundage needed to feed my herd for the month, I haven't checked prices since we found a local hay provider though, I think that's next after I look around here.. We are still trying to get everyone up to a decent weight (you could see spine on Nibbler, Velvet and Sparkplug when we got them - very happy that they have started to fill out.) -- and I really need to invest in a scale.

Petlovr

Cavy Slave
I went to Bed Bath & Beyond, and bought a Cuisinart scale that goes to 11 lbs. (I know, piggies don't get that big, hang on...LOL) it has a glass "plate, and on top of that, a stainless steel cup. Perfect for piggies, easily sanitized, and if I'm still squeamish, I can use the glass plate for myself. It's really nice, and that store always has coupons.

Congrats on your herd. I almost cried when I got to the part about Snowflake being dead. How horrible. When I think about how I spoil all my fuzzy kids, to read something like this...it's awful. Best of luck with everyone, and welcome to a great site. I haven't been here long, but everyone has been wonderful.

Sl and S

Cavy Slave
wow 15! i need photographic evidence that's unbelievable. if i get another cavie it will have to be a peruvian or himalayan.

Alaskangurl

Cavy Slave
Welcome former Alaskan. You sound like a wonderful person and have an awesome husband to let you have so many furbabies. I would love to have more, but alas I have my limit now. But...there is always the future! The folks here are wonderful, helpful and have so much knowledge that they are so very willing to share with us folks new to the game. Again, congrats and welcome....We do love pictures too!

Amethysta

Cavy Slave
I do have a ton of pictures between facebook and Photobucket. I just need to give myself enough time on the computer to get them either linked or posted. My hubby is great, he's an animal lover himself, so it's not hard to get him to get attached either.

He is getting a little frustrated at me right now because of my constant changing of cages. I had a brilliant idea..... but I may by pass it if I can do the fleece thing - we're working on getting our first washer and dryer set... so this is exciting! :D

Nicholle

Cavy Slave
And i cant get my family to let me get more then 3 :D

Amethysta

Cavy Slave
I started my blog, it has some pics... I'll post more when I get more computer time this evening

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.