Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Hyacinth is pregnant what do I do??

cavycache

Cavy Slave
When I first got Hy, I thought she looked a little over weight. I weighed her and she was only ten grams more than Hazel, so I thought nothing of it.

A week later I got the scale out again and weighed them. Hy was a whooping 400g! She had gained over 80g in the last week! I weighed her again the next day (410g), and the next day (430g), and I weighed Hy again this afternoon (475g). She was drinking tons and was being a real food hog and laying down on her side a lot.

I looked up the signs of pregnant guinea pigs and everything fit, but she's only 2 1/2 months old! I switched the food to the alfalfa based Oxbow guinea pig food and I'm not handling her as much but I'm still take out every day to weigh her and let run run around outside with Hazel.

I really don't know what to do! I'm worried. :confused:

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
She could just be gaining weight. A vet could tell you for sure.

Are you sure her cagemates are all females?

Where did you get her and how long have you had her?

akstrohm

Cavy Slave
If she is pregnant, make sure you have a competent vet lined up. Pregnancy complications are unfortunately common.

cavycache

Cavy Slave
Hazel is definitely female. I got Hy 2 weeks ago at PetSmart.

cavycache

Cavy Slave
Hazel is definitely female, I checked. I got Hy at the petstore 2 weeks ago.

akstrohm

Cavy Slave
Pet store pigs are often pregnant. That is one of the reasons this board is so strongly pro-adoption.

Get a vet who is competent with guinea pigs lined up. Keep feeding both pigs the cavy performance (they need it until they are 6 months even if they aren't pregnant). Read up on pregnancy in guinea pigs. Make sure you baby proof the cage (your pigs need this too since they are so small), and make sure the cage is large enough (see the homepage for requirements). And keep weighing regularly. Good luck--I hope it goes smoothly.

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave

SuperPIG

Cavy Slave
Take her to the vet for a post check-up and rafrain from handling her that often. When sows are pregnant it is a strain on there bodies most importantly her circulation system and other vital organs. Feed alfalfa hay and if you have any timothy pellets you can mix both alfalfa and timothy (more alfalfa though). Also refresh the water every day or two since she's drinking so much and keep her with another sow so that incase she gives birth and you don't know the other sow will help nourish the pups until you realize. good luck!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.