Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Human toys / cluttered cages

KjerstiMoo

Cavy Slave
When viewing a lot of the cage photos in the gallery, I see that many put human toys in their cage. And a lot of other things, making it look very cluttered.
Are the toys really that safe for the piggies? And do they even give a piggies bum about it? Of course it's cute to picture your piggie in front of a dresser or in a car, but is it really necessary that we stuff all these things into there just because we think it's cute?
I'm not talking about the miniature sofas and beds, those are completely darling and also have a function if the pigs like sleeping on them.

Just wondering. My pigs have a pig-specific toy (a wooden "bride") and a big veggie-ball and they don't care about those unless I put food on/in them.

Percy's Mom

Cavy Slave
No, none of it is "necessary". It does make things more interesting for the pigs though, and in most of the cages that you see these things, they're there because the pigs play with them. If you want to leave toys out of your pigs cage, or only put in 1 or 2 at a time, do that.

PiggieMamaKelly

Cavy Slave
I've always had a similar question. I've always wondered how many things is too many things. The point of a C&C is to have plenty of room to run, but by the time I load in the cuddle cup, the sleeping bag, the tent, the bird toys, the balls, the boxes, the tunnels... it just looks so full. What is a good number of things to keep a pig entertained but still allow enough just plain space? Would they rather have few toys and lots of space or less space and lots to do?

KjerstiMoo

Cavy Slave
I suspect that keeping a small number of toys, but changing them regularly is the trick. Let 'em have a toy or two for some days, then move on to the next and eventually put the first back in, rotating it.

dextersmycutegp

Cavy Slave
I like thinking about it as if it's my bedroom. If I had that much stuff in my room would I be happy? If my answer is no, I take some stuff out, but if my answer is yes, and I have the right amount of houses, I just leave it.....

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Would they rather have few toys and lots of space or less space and lots to do?
I think it depends on the pig. Some love to do mad laps around the cage and some don't. Most like to explore and many love toys. I personally like hanging bird toys and cardboard boxes with both ends cut out. Hanging toys don't take up too much room and still allow the pigs to run, plus the pigs can make them swing by pushing their nose against them or grab one end with their teeth and try to pull them down. Cardboard boxes with two ends cut out act like both a hidey house and a tunnel.

PiggieMamaKelly

Cavy Slave
Yeah, after I sprung for the little fabric pet tunnel I realized they like a 12-pack coke box with the ends cut off much more! It's like a kid at Christmas, who likes the boxes more than the toys!

nonamian_girl

Cavy Slave
I have a similar concern, I've actually rearranged my cage a couple of times because I felt like all the hiding places were actually taking away from the running space. Of course my pigs have access to run around all over my apartment, and do so regularly, but when they get the urge to do it in their cage, they like to go up and down the ramp more than in circles. This is probably why everyone makes their cages bigger and bigger and bigger :p.

I don't think the pigs really get all that bored though, mine completely ignore all their toys. The biggest hit with them has been the laundry-blanket tent I've put up in my room. It's been there for months and they still like to play with it.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Unless you have a blind pig, everyone should regularly (every cage cleaning), rearrange their hideys, toys, tunnels, etc. to give them a change and a variety. My girls have several types of pvc pipes and I change them out or make new configurations with them all the time. I also move their hidey's around and their toys.

nonamian_girl

Cavy Slave
Hm, I don't have that option unfortunately...I've changed it a couple times over but I think the way I have it now is the best layout possible and I have to keep it that way because certain things are tied down or used in a way that can't be changed.

cavy-cool-crazy

Cavy Slave
Mine have too many toys to count. They have dog, kitten, human, piggy, doll and bird toys. None of mine are interested in running laps and they adore the toys. They have their chaise longue, mirrors, bells, blankets, cuddlecups, steps, boxes and so on. They wouldn't be without their toys and I don't feel it clutters up their house. Some are old "stage" toys which I used next to the pigs in the set-up shoots, and they enjoyed playing with them so they got them in their cage. Obviously not ornaments, but soft toys, cushions, fancy blankets.

I rotate the toys every 2 days. Every day they get the smaller items shuffled, but the big toys (chaise longue, cuddlecups, steps, hideys etc.) only get moved at the major cleans.

Sabriel

Cavy Slave
Even blind pigs enjoy a change once and a while. Though the essentials (food, water, hay box) all stay in the same place, Spinel likes a change of texture once and a while. He has 2 large stuffed toys I rotate for him, a hedgehog and a felt sushi roll.

Both toys also make different sounds. You can squeeze his hedgie to make it squeek to let him know his hedgie is out for play and the sushi has a bell inside.

When not in his cage I put them in the girls' cage.

I swear, the changing of the toys is the highlight of his day.

I think the most important thing for him is that his toys are large. If they are too small he trips over them. Both his sushi and his hedgie are the size of a small guinea pig.

WheekNotOink

Cavy Slave
I was going to ask this, but I guess the answer can be assumed by the number of people mentioning toys in their piggie homes. But I'll ask anyway :)
Are stuffed animals and the like safe for cavies? If so, is there anything in particular that I need to avoid?
Thanks!

Percy's Mom

Cavy Slave
Stuffed animals are safe, but you'll need to modify them a bit. If they have a ribbon around the neck, or tags, cut them off. If the eyes or nose could be easily pulled or chewed off, remove them. Cut off any whiskers. And above all of this, make sure to check the toys daily to make sure your pigs aren't chewing holes in them to get at the stuffing. Obviously, if there are holes, remove the toy. I've used a stuffed animal before, but I prefer stuffing old socks with hay and tying or sewing them shut. That way if they chew a hole in the sock, they aren't getting to anything they can't have anyway.

Piggiemum

Cavy Slave
I keep mainly bird hanging toys in the cage (chew blocks with bells attached and mirrors) because, my boys are runners and if the hidey huts or toys are in the way my poor Rowan has a bad habit of just running, bang, head long into it! I have to keep everything away from the outside edges as that is his running path even if a hut is in the way, the crazy pig! Also, we have a tiny stuffed elephant that Rupert loves and cuddles whenever Rowan is being a real 'cracker-pig.' Mind you, now that the temperature is going up, old elephant is being replaced by 'frozen water bottle in a sock'.

P.S. we have other toys, we just keep them for the morning and night time playpen hours.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.