Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

How to convince my parents to get me a 2nd guinea pig

Rosiethecutepig

Cavy Slave
Hi everyone. I've been having trouble convincing my parents to get me a 2nd guinea pig. I already have one but I know that they get lonely. Any suggestions?

ItsaZoo

Cavy Slave
Well, some guinea pigs get lonely and some are okay alone.

Two pigs aren't much more work than one, but there are a few things to consider. Cage size is important. A minimum is 7.5 square feet for one or two, but really two should have closer to 10 square feet. Even more if they are males.

You would also have to be sure to have a savings account with emergency funds for vet care. Often what happens is a new guinea pig comes into the house and you find out too late it has something contagious. Even with a vet check it could have mites or the start of an upper respiratory infection. So instead of one pig needing care, both need to see a vet and that can run into money.

You also have to plan for the possibility that they won't like each other. Would you have room for two cages next to each other if they seriously don't like each other and fight?

So while it would be fun to have two that pair up and become buddies, you would have to plan in case something went wrong. And your parents would have to be on board since they may have to help pay vet bills or drive you to vet appointments.

Rosiethecutepig

Cavy Slave
How do you know if they are lonely? Also I know males tend to fight but do females? Just wondering.:)

Smileandnod

Cavy Slave
How do you know if they are lonely? Also I know males tend to fight but do females? Just wondering.:)

Yes, females will also fight. Especially if they don't have enough room to get away and out of sight of each other when they need/want to.

It is very important to have a large cage. One of my females cannot be housed with any other pig unless she has a minimum of 3 grids wide space and 6 grids length (Approx. 3.5 ft wide x 7ft. long). Once she has enough space and a second floor (with 2 ramps) she is great and there are no problems. She just is very territorial.

TheGuineaPigGal

Cavy Slave
Yes, no sex of guinea pig is better than another. Your guinea pig is a sow, sow bondings are successful 80% of the time. Do you live near an animal shelter that carries pigs? If so, I would recommend adopting, there are plenty of cute little pigs in need of homes, If they carry multiple sows, take miss Rosie into the shelter. Some offer bonding services, they would pair your pig up with multiple sows and observe how they get along. If the two don't get along, then they try another sow. And you also mentioned how can you tell if a pig is lonely, do you observe the pig in the hut a lot? That can be a sign pf loneliness.

Rosiethecutepig

Cavy Slave
Thank you these posts are very helpful. I will check and see if there are any shelters around where I live. Also should I get a baby or an older piggy? Rosemary (aka Rosie) is almost a year old.

TheGuineaPigGal

Cavy Slave
I got my pigs when they were pups, I really cannot recommend if either is better, but rosemary may feel motherly to a baby pig, possibly causing rosie to feel pity for the little pig. On the other hand, most older sows I have seen are docile, and quiet. I think both could be a possibility, If I was getting another pig, I would personally get a senior piggy.

Rosiethecutepig

Cavy Slave
Okay that's helpful. I will probably get a baby because Rosie will might think an older piggy is trying to intrude and they will fight.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
If you'll take Rosie to a guinea pig rescue that does "meet and greets," she can pick out her own buddy.

Rosiethecutepig

Cavy Slave
Ok I checked if there are any guinea pig shelters around where I live but I couldn't find any.:eek:ptimist::unsure:

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Where are you? City/state, not your actual address.

Rosiethecutepig

Cavy Slave
I live in Coeur d' Alene ID.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Contact these rescues: https://www.petfinder.com/search/small-furry-for-adoption/us/id/coeur-dalene/

They may or may not have GPs at the moment. But most rescues are run totally by volunteers, and they do things when they can get around to them. They may have pigs that they just haven't posted yet.

Also, be aware that most rescues are just a group of foster homes, and there may be a home much closer to you than the address of the rescue indicates. Most rescues will watch for a pet that matches what you want and let you know when one comes in.

Rosiethecutepig

Cavy Slave
This was really helpful. Thanks!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.