Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cleaning How often to clean Fleece?

Hazel Hammy

Cavy Slave
Hi guys! :)
So I am getting ready for Guinea's new fleece bedding and cage... Big changes. Anyway, how often should I clean the fleece? If it matters, her new cage is going to be a Midwest. :D

labgirl5

Cavy Slave
What are you using underneath the fleece? You should spot-clean 1-2 times a day and completely wash everything at least once per week.

Hazel Hammy

Cavy Slave
What are you using underneath the fleece? You should spot-clean 1-2 times a day and completely wash everything at least once per week.
I plan to try out Newspaper, then if it doesn't work out I will ask my dad if he can get a tarp. :)

poop_patrol

Cavy Slave
I'm fairly new to fleece and a Midwest cage. After much trial and error I've found that fleece over wood pellets and a kitchen area filled with kiln dried pine works great. Dump and refresh the kitchen area as needed (about every other day). Sweep the fleece once or twice a day. And replace the fleece with freshly laundered fleece once a week. This is the quickest and cheapest option I've found. The wood pellet can be found at Home Depot or lowes...ask for the pellet fuel. 40 lb bag for $6. Lasts several months. I found pine shavings at wal-mart in a large bag for $6.50 that last a month or more.

good luck.

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
I plan to try out Newspaper, then if it doesn't work out I will ask my dad if he can get a tarp. :)

You need something absorbent underneath your fleece. Newspaper will work, but will need cleaning more often. Many people use towels--I usually pick some up at garage sales or thrift stores.

A Midwest cage is a bit on the small size, so with two pigs (and you should have two pigs) you'd want to sweep the poops up twice a day.

Hazel Hammy

Cavy Slave
You need something absorbent underneath your fleece. Newspaper will work, but will need cleaning more often. Many people use towels--I usually pick some up at garage sales or thrift stores.

A Midwest cage is a bit on the small size, so with two pigs (and you should have two pigs) you'd want to sweep the poops up twice a day.
I got her around 7 years ago, and back then I wasn't the most educated about pigs; so I only got 1. :)

petgal49

Cavy Slave
I use puppy pee pads under my fleece and it works great!

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
A tarp wouldn't do anything to absorb the pee. Use old towels or buy some uhaul pads.

Hazel Hammy

Cavy Slave
A tarp wouldn't do anything to absorb the pee. Use old towels or buy some uhaul pads.
Oops, thanks for quoting me on that. :) I accidentally put tarp... oops! I meant towels, hehe :)

LoveMyHerd

Cavy Slave
Why couldn't Guinea get a friend now? Just because she hasn't had one most of her life doesn't mean she wouldn't appreciate one now.
I got her around 7 years ago, and back then I wasn't the most educated about pigs; so I only got 1. :)

Hazel Hammy

Cavy Slave
Why couldn't Guinea get a friend now? Just because she hasn't had one most of her life doesn't mean she wouldn't appreciate one now.
My parents would never approve of it, sadly. If it was my choice, I'd have 5 hamsters, 4 Piggies, and a bunch of dogs... I guess this is why my parents are in charge. LOL

Anyway, my parents are very strict about the pet thing... things are already getting a little pushy by upgrading the hamsters to a 40g and upgrading Guinea to to the Midwest and (hopefully) attaching her current cage to it so she has a bigger area.

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE pigs. There's even older female guinea pigs at my local shelter. But if I brought this up to my parents... they would get very mad at me. :'(

Hazel Hammy

Cavy Slave
640ca856-4c94-4dc8-8914-179e52f614a5.jpg

Hehe, Another quote. Here's one of the piggies at my shelter, her name is Poppy. All of the older pigs have been (thankfully) adopted, so now there's only Poppy and a male piggy. There are also Chins, and LOTS of rabbits. Yes- I love my local shelter. xD

SpeciesSmall&Furry
BreedGuinea Pig/Purebred
Age6 months 22 days
GenderFemale
SizeSmall
ColorBlack/Brown
DeclawedNo
LocationSmall Animal Room
Adoption Price$10.00

I removed the ones about where the shelter is located for safety reasons. :) Here's more pics:
fef854aa-7967-4a39-a4e9-f2150b13984a.jpg

a438ecf6-75be-4e9d-82d4-986ba6a8fe38.jpg

Don't get me wrong, It would be a Christmas Miracle for me to bring her home. But that doesn't change anything in my parents' eyes, and I have learned to not get my hopes up for getting a new pet because of this reason. :)

So yes- that is why I cannot get her a friend. Thanks for asking! :D

Last edited:

GuineaPigLuvs

Cavy Gazer
Um this is not related to the topic but I need some help, I can't figure out how to contact admin to help me and I can't figure out how to post a new topic? Also no matter how many times I confirm my email address and it tells me im successful the app still says "awaiting email confirmation"
Somebody pls help me

Hazel Hammy

Cavy Slave
Um this is not related to the topic but I need some help, I can't figure out how to contact admin to help me and I can't figure out how to post a new topic? Also no matter how many times I confirm my email address and it tells me im successful the app still says "awaiting email confirmation"
Somebody pls help me
Can't help you with that, sorry. I'm a newbie too! :)

myswtguineas

Cavy Gazer
I use puppy pee pads under my fleece and after 48 hours both are soaked through! I don't know what to do!

pinky

Cavy Slave
I use puppy pee pads under my fleece and after 48 hours both are soaked through! I don't know what to do!

First of all, how many guinea pigs do you have and what size is your cage? Try switching to uhaul pads or towels instead of the puppy pads to see if that helps. If you're cage is too small, you should expand it and you won't have to change the bedding as often.

Kenna18155

Cavy Slave
I'd just like to add that I'm a newspaper user (until next weekend--my dad got me Uhaul pads for Christmas) and I think they aren't that bad. For some reason, they're good with smell in my case. I clean the cage out entirely every 5-ish days, and spot clean daily if possible. They have a larger-than-recommended cage, so I can afford to clean a tiny bit less than many people, but you may be in the opposite situation. The only thing I dislike is trying to get the fleece in the cage over the papers without making them fly around all haywire. Still not that bad, in my opinion, but you'd probably like Uhaul pads better.

TheUniqueNique

Cavy Slave
I switched to carefree/aspen bedding mix for the time being, but during the summer months I always use puppy training pads underneath my fleece. At one time I used towels and newspaper, but I found the smell of urine more noticeable. Everybody has different preferences, so just try a couple things and see which what works for you. :)

myswtguineas

Cavy Gazer
First of all, how many guinea pigs do you have and what size is your cage? Try switching to uhaul pads or towels instead of the puppy pads to see if that helps. If you're cage is too small, you should expand it and you won't have to change the bedding as often.

Can you purchase the pads directly through uhaul?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.