Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fighting how much is too much fighting?

lizpow

Cavy Slave
My girls were introduced yesterday and the submissive piggy (willa) has always backed down since they seemed to be sure that hazel is dominant and willa is submissive. until this morning it seems that Willa is trying to be pushed around a little less. there had been very little physical confrontation because willa has always run away but this morning when hazel tried to bully her out from under the stool I'm using as a hidey hut willa didn't move and hazel nipped her on the nose. I don't want to call it bleeding because it didn't run or well up with blood much but it definitely was a cut. Hazel then moved on and went to eat some hay.
My question is: is this the point when they should be separated or is this normal for the first 24 hours? and is there something i should do for the cut? I am watching them very closely for confrontation for now. they had seemed to be getting along better until that point and had been sleeping near each other but not necessarily together.

I know both are eating and drinking well and there are two "hidey huts" with multiple exits and I put some tree bark against the wall in two places that make it like a tunle. There are two food bowls, two water bottles, and the hay is in a round basket in the center of the cage.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Take the hideys out for a few days.

Their behavior is normal. Just keep an eye on the cut, and if you notice any signs of infection (heat, swelling, redness, pus, odor), then see a vet.

lizpow

Cavy Slave
Take the hideys out for a few days.

Their behavior is normal. Just keep an eye on the cut, and if you notice any signs of infection (heat, swelling, redness, pus, odor), then see a vet.

what will taking out the hut help with? I've heard you need one more hut than you have pig so htye can get away from each other if they feel they need to. Is this meant to happen later?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
If one is bullying another away from one of the hideys, you can take them out so that won't happen. Anything that's the source of a squabble should be removed for a while.

lizpow

Cavy Slave
If one is bullying another away from one of the hideys, you can take them out so that won't happen. Anything that's the source of a squabble should be removed for a while.
thanx for clearing that up for me!

piggielover401

Cavy Newbie
Cavy Gazer
As long as there is no blood or scratches they are perfectly fine.

pinky

Cavy Slave
I agree that the wound needs to be watched. I had a guinea pig with an abscess on the bridge of her nose that was tough to treat because it was near her eyes. It's easier to prevent an abscess than treat one.

CavyHouse

Cavy Slave
I would recommend weighing your piggies weekly to make sure they're both getting enough to eat. I introduced a pair that weren't doing great but there was lots of chasing etc. I thought both were eating but when I did the weigh-in, one of the piggies had lost 100 grams, which is not ok. So I separated them even though there was no blood etc. The piggy gained the weight back and I found new partners for them.

piggielover401

Cavy Newbie
Cavy Gazer
Hi, I would just like to apologize. I didn't have a very good day. I am very sorry Lizzie. This site is in no way negative and is very helpful. I am sincerely sorry. I need help please. I want to know if a piggie has a URI, will they always loose weight and have a loss of appetite? I think my piggie has a URI, but she isn't loosing any weight or losing her appetite. She eats and is picking up weight. Please help.

lizpow

Cavy Slave
Hi, I would just like to apologize. I didn't have a very good day. I am very sorry Lizzie. This site is in no way negative and is very helpful. I am sincerely sorry. I need help please. I want to know if a piggie has a URI, will they always loose weight and have a loss of appetite? I think my piggie has a URI, but she isn't loosing any weight or losing her appetite. She eats and is picking up weight. Please help.

Are you talking about a urinary infection? I don't know much about that but I can help research it if u want.

piggielover401

Cavy Newbie
Cavy Gazer
Yes, please I need help. I am very worried. I am talking about a URI. Upper respiratory infection

lizpow

Cavy Slave
U.S. I just realized what u are talking about. They wouldn't always loose weight or stop eating. I would say you should call your vet as soon as they are next open. Guinea pigs are fragile and most mess other animals can take can upset their balance of gut bacteria.

piggielover401

Cavy Newbie
Cavy Gazer
Ok. Thank you. We are going to take her to the vet on Friday.

lizpow

Cavy Slave
Wow auto correct really took over my last reply

lizpow

Cavy Slave
Ok. Thank you. We are going to take her to the vet on Friday.

If you are worried it's an uri I would recommend you really try to get her in sooner than Friday if at all possible. It sounds like they can go down hill pretty quickly with upper respiratory infections.

lizpow

Cavy Slave

Thank you so much! Taking out that stool has made a world of difference! Now they are following each other around and their fighting hasn't gotten past lifting there noses to see who is bigger. Until now I hadn't even been able to give them their veggies when they were together and now they are hardly fighting at all over it!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.