Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Storage Areas How do you store your hay?

kadege

Cavy Slave
Hello everyone!

How do you all store your hay? I buy Oxbow hay and have been leaving it in the plastic bag it comes in, but my entire room smells like hay (and even out into the hallway, even though I keep my door closed). I was wondering the best way to store hay that might help cut down on the smell, as I am slightly allergic to hay and having it all in the air and breathing it in all the time isn't working out too well for me. Moving the pigs and their things out of my room isn't an option as I now live with a roommate who has a puppy, so to keep them safe I have to keep them away from the dog.

Beatrix187

Cavy Slave
I think some people use woven laundry bins with a lid on it as storage. Or just use any box, and you can put the whole bag in the box.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Hay needs to be stored where air can circulate through it, like in a bin/box with holes in it.

If you're allergic to timothy, try switching to bluegrass, meadow grass or orchard grass. They're all less likely to cause allergies than timothy.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.